Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2014 portraits

Re: June 2014 portraits

For sure! I love my 90mm Fujinon as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Sweet. Keep that Fuji!

I bought a pack of Super-XX from eBay... Yes, Super-XX, "Must Be Developed Before Feb 1951" Well, so we are 63 years too late. I am sure it will work *grin*

Put the package inside the changing tent with a film holder. My mental conversation (I hope it's mental anyway, and not me narrating what's happening at real time) went like this:
    "What is this? It feels like Pack Film! Ooops. OK, no big deal, I could just open the metal frames like this, and hmm... where are the sheets?" Eventually found them, ripped one off the protective sheet and tried to push it in the film holder, guessing which side is the emulsion by feel and... it wouldn't go in.

Touched and touched and it felt a bit wider and quite a bit longer than 4x5 negs. In went the pair of scissors and I did the best I could to cut 2 sheets totally by feel. At this point, I was sure that this is an entirely waste of a grand total of $8 (+ shipping).

Put the remaining sheets in a film box and took everything out of the tent and realized that I have ruined about 6 sheets due to not able to see which are what, and what is where. Double oops.

Took two test shots, using exposure assuming ISO 50 (Super-XX was a high speed film at ISO125 thereabout, but 63 years in a box probably lower its sensitivity so I figured ISO50 is probably good). F5.6@1/8 second, 120 APO Symmar with the Chamonix Saber on a tripod.

Managed to somehow wrangle them into the Jobo reel, even though the hand cut sheets are neither the correct size nor even cut straight. Xtol 12 mins in the Jobo with a pre-wash. Quick water stop, 30 secs in fix then took a quick look and I was REALLY SURPRISED to see images on both sheets! Put it back on the Jobo and finished it with proper fixing length, hypo clear, water rinse, and photo flo. After they dried, scanned and post processed and realized that one sheet has the emulsion facing the wrong way so the exposure was about -2 stops! Tripe oops. The other one the exposure is actually about + 1/2 stop.

So yes, these are post processed and therefore enhanced, but for a 63 year emulsion, it's not bad at all!!

Richard: I like the portraits - are those "the Queen's" corgis? But more to the point, were you aware of Keith Canham's unfortunately aborted attempt to get a special run of Kodak "Double X" LF film? Apparently the Super XX had qualities not available in current films that justified the attempt; a google search might interest you.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post

Test scan. Microtek i800+

Kodak Master View 8x10 + Fuji Fujinon 250mm 6.7 + Fuji HRT X-Ray Film + Yellow Filter
    Great Portrait buddy!!
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Sweet. Keep that Fuji!
    definitely keep the Fuji, my favorite portrait lens is my 12 velostigmat, I use it with 4x5 and 5x7.

Hi Peter, those are Cardigan Welsh Corgi, different from the Queen's by that they have tails!

Yes, I was actually part of the original pack who signed up for the Double X effort. However, when the price went up, it is cost ineffective for me to continue. My photography does not make money and my dayjob is suffering... I am doing a project with 4x5 and I keep having to beg for donations to pay for those $4 per sheet Provia.

Thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Richard: I like the portraits - are those "the Queen's" corgis? But more to the point, were you aware of Keith Canham's unfortunately aborted attempt to get a special run of Kodak "Double X" LF film? Apparently the Super XX had qualities not available in current films that justified the attempt; a google search might interest you.

Thanks man! How are you?

Yeah, i'll keep my Fuji. If ever i would get a longer modern lens i think i'll get Fuji again. Any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    definitely keep the Fuji, my favorite portrait lens is my 12 velostigmat, I use it with 4x5 and 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    Thanks man! How are you?

Yeah, i'll keep my Fuji. If ever i would get a longer modern lens i think i'll get Fuji again. Any suggestion?
    I use to have the fujinon 300 5.6 W that I used on 8x10 great lens and plenty of coverage

Charles
    13x18 ambrotype

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by nede View Post
    Charles
    13x18 ambrotype
    Charles, as in Darwin? An excellent portrait, reminiscent of another time...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."