Thread: Jobo 2500 cog lid for 2840 paper drum?

Cogito, ergo sum

Jobo 2500 cog lid for 2840 paper drum?

I have a 2521 with cog lid, and a 2840 with inversion lid. The 2521 cog lid has a hole which is covered by the core. I notice that the 2521 cog lid fits the 2840 perfectly. Now I want to process 11x14 film in the 2840 with a Jobo CPP2 (with lift). Question is can I just seal the hole of the cog lid with some black tape and use it for the 2840?
    And one more question: Can I use the CPP2 without ground outlet? The electrical system in my house does not have the ground outlet.
    Last edited by jumanji; 30-May-2014 at 21:26.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

retrogrouchy

Re: Jobo 2500 cog lid for 2840 paper drum?

There are two parts to a cog lid: the lid itself, and the insert. There are two different styles of insert available: a funnel which goes into a core, and a cup; they unlock with a little anticlockwise twist and can be swapped over. If you use the funnel insert with no core in the tank, the tank will not be light-tight (you can see right through the middle). Sealing the funnel with tape or a cork means you can't get liquid into the tank! The cup is designed for use when printing, i.e. when there is no core, and it is light-tight on its own and lets fluid in/out but doesn't leave room for a core+spirals in the tank. If you find a cup insert, or a lid with one, then you should be able to process whatever paper or sheet film can be crammed into the edges of the tank as if it were paper, but no guarantees of uniform development of film (it works for some, not others).

Using a water bath with a mains electric heater in it that's not grounded is asking to be electrocuted. The system depends on being grounded for its safety; for example if you run it accidentally without water and the element melts, it will short the active to the element case, which is grounded. If ground is connected, it will blow a fuse and/or trip your ELCB; if there is no ground then the water bath will become live and you will get shocked (perhaps fatally) when you touch the water.

You could run a wire to ground. This could be as easy as connecting a wire from the internal ground wire to a water pipe or drain.

What sort of plugs do you use in VN? Here in the US there are adapter plugs with a short wire that attaches to a screw in the outlet.
    I would think there are similar adapters throughout the world.

Cogito, ergo sum

Thanks for your advices.
    About the 2500 cog lid, if I seal the funnel the chemicals are still able to go inside. I think this method will work temporarily. I will test with a 11x14 BW negative before running a chrome sheet film in it.
    To be honest I have very little knowledge about eletrical system. I've asked my friend who is working in eletricity company and he has instructed me how to ground the processor. Here in VN in old buildings, there is no internal ground wire, i.e there is only two pins socket. Newer buildings have safer system, with internal ground wire and all sockets are three pins socket.

Japan Exposures

If you have the two drums, why not just switch beaker and funnel underneath the lid? It's all interchangeable.

Cogito, ergo sum

Oh yes, how stupid I am. Just try and it works. Awesome! Thank you Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    You could run a wire to ground. This could be as easy as connecting a wire from the internal ground wire to a water pipe or drain.

What sort of plugs do you use in VN? Here in the US there are adapter plugs with a short wire that attaches to a screw in the outlet.
    I would think there are similar adapters throughout the world.
    CAUTION: Only works if the pipes are metal.