Thread: Why didn't i think of this??

Why didn't i think of this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

just look at this..

It sounds like a good idea to me.. if you can get a really clean cut and connect them together so it doesnt leak light..

Yes, pretty neat idea. Keith Canham has used a similar concept to make 4X10" holders from 4X5" holders. But for 8X20" format you will have to adjust the T-dimension of most existing cameras to get correct displacement of the ground glass relative to the holder. But I imagine any person capable of doing the custom work necessary to join two 8X10" holders to make an 8X20" holder could easily make the adjustment.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Personally, I wouldn't trust the joint along the 20" edges. If my back would allow me to carry an 8x20, I'd rather invest in holders made with solid pieces and to the right specs.

The rumor that I have heard is that Keith Canham buys parts from Fidelity/Lisco. So he doesn't have to join two 4x5 holders to make a 4x10 -- he can start with 8x10 parts, and cut the 8 inch end pieces shorter. This would work if the depth of a 4x10 holder is the same as the 0.260 inch depth of an 8x10. If the depth of a 4x10 holder is the same as that of a 4x5 holder, 0.197 inches, than probably Fidelity/Lisco is making available uncut stock.

The Canham 4x10 holders are the same thickness as the 8x10 Fidelity holders as Keith does purchase 8x10 parts from Fidelity and cuts them down to 4x10. The seam is in the middle the length of the holder. They work great.