Thread: KEH and the "Copal BT" shutter

KEH and the "Copal BT" shutter

Can someone explain Copal BT? Im thinking of buying a fujinon lens, which KEH states it has a Copal BT (35mm). Im assuming this is a Copal 0 (34.6mm)?

does the BT stand for Bulb/time?

Re: Copal BT?

There's no explaining, you've guessed right. BT does mean Bulb & Time and 35mm is the hole needed for a Copal/Compur/Protor etc #0

Ian

Question COPAL BT Shutter

I've got a question that I'm surprised I've not found a quick answer for.

I'm looking at a lens on KEH that mentions it has a Copal BT shutter. I believe BT stands for Bulb and Timer.

Does it also have other shutter speeds? Or is BT used to indicate that it only has Bulb and Timer?

Thanks

Between here and there

Re: COPAL BT Shutter

I know there was a Sinar Norma "simple" behind-the-lens shutter that only had B and T settings. I have never seen one, only know this from a catalogue listing.

I found an earlier post on here, confirming what you already assumed: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...13854-Copal-BT
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

I believe KEH uses that designation for Copal 0 shutters.

I just did two searches on keh.com. The first for Copal BT. It got 596 hits. The first page was lenses in Copal #0 and #1 shutters. All fully speeded. Note, one Copal Press, top speed 1/125. The second for Copal. It got 711 hits, including fixed lens cameras with Copal shutters and Copal #3 shutters.

OP, if you want the lens get it. If the lens isn't fully speeded return it.

GITZO once made and distributed a B & T shutter which was rebranded by other brands. Just a guess on my part...

Threads merged.

Re: KEH and the "Copal BT" shutter

KEH's designations are a little cryptic but I'm pretty sure that many of their LF lenses are listed as "BT," meaning "this shutter has B and T in addition to the normal timed speeds." There are some shutters that don't have both B and T. For example here is a listing for a Schneider lens that says "SCHNEIDER 90MM F/8 SUPER ANGULON MC COPAL PRESS B (32 MT)." This means a standard Copal Press #0 shutter that has B, but no T setting, and a 32mm diameter mounting thread. https://www.keh.com/shop/90-f8-sup-a...x5-lens-1.html (No endorsement implied.)

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Re: KEH and the "Copal BT" shutter

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    KEH's designations are a little cryptic but I'm pretty sure that many of their LF lenses are listed as "BT," meaning "this shutter has B and T in addition to the normal timed speeds." There are some shutters that don't have both B and T. For example here is a listing for a Schneider lens that says "SCHNEIDER 90MM F/8 SUPER ANGULON MC COPAL PRESS B (32 MT)." This means a standard Copal Press #0 shutter that has B, but no T setting, and a 32mm diameter mounting thread. https://www.keh.com/shop/90-f8-sup-a...x5-lens-1.html (No endorsement implied.)
    M32.5-0.5 mount thread copal 0 not 32
    see skgrimes table
    he has also explenation how to measure threads outside(rounding) and inside(adding pitch).
    and has best spanner wrench.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch