Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Velvia Film Sold at $20 a Sheet

Andrew "The RedSun"

8x10 Velvia Film Sold at $20 a Sheet

I saw several boxes of 8x10 reversal films were sold at about $20 a sheet. Just amazing. Check this eBay item: 291116280056

Just wonder who is buying?

Richard Johnson

Re: 8x10 Velvia Film Sold at $20 a Sheet

8x10 Kodak Portra 400 is $16.49 per sheet and it's a current product so why would it surprise you that Velvia, being out of production, is $20 per?

Thats about right. I roughly paid a little over $20 a sheet.

Nothing new here
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Andrew "The RedSun"

Sry my bad. I thought it would be cheaper. I can't afford at this rate. Would try to find cheap Chinese make BW 4x5.

At $20/sheet, I'm just curious about the cost and payout etc. You'll need the clients, or sell enough prints to recover the costs....

Lachlan 717

Andrew,

Have a look at Ben Horne's Youtube videos if you're interested in how someone shoots 8x10 Velvia.

He'll spend 5+ days on a trip and maybe expose 4 sheets.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

B&H: Fujifilm RVP 8 x 10" Fujichrome Velvia 100 Professional Color Slide Film (20 Sheets)

At the current price of $268.50 for 20, that's $13.43 per sheet.

(rant template="Foamy the Squirrel")
    eBay? EBAY??? Is there any f------ reason to buy currently imported film on eBay??? Those sellers are screwing you in the ***! Stop buying film from eBay! You want that film? Buy it fresh! Buy it from a number of retailers! You're shooting 8x10. Of course the film is more expensive than 4x5! You are shooting a whole f------ roll of 35mm at one time! One click is a whole roll of 35mm or 120! And of course there's a premium on 8x10, because nobody uses it! At least it's the biggest size that you can actually just order it over the counter. Not like saving up $20,000 and ordering 11x14 Portra or Ektar through Canham, is it? This is 8x10! This is a f------- bazooka! You want cheap? Pull out your phone! This is the big leagues! Think big, and you're gonna spend big! Big film! Big price! Big results! Point it at something that's worth $13.43 a shot plus processing! And enjoy it!
    (/rant)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Andrew "The RedSun"

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Andrew,

Have a look at Ben Horne's Youtube videos if you're interested in how someone shoots 8x10 Velvia.

He'll spend 5+ days on a trip and maybe expose 4 sheets.
    Then how much money can he make from the trip? just curious. Of course, he spend most the time searching for the scene. Then he can use digital camera to test shoot before he commits. But I'll take a look at the Youtube.

Then I was going through Flicr large format photos. A lot of them are just for fun. I do not know if anyone there would burn the sheet film like burning paper money. There is no luxury with a $20 film....

Velvia 50 isn't sold in the u.s any longer so it's only available on ebay or a place like japan expo$ure$.
    Velvia 100 (insert red midtones/shadows here)is a poor substitute for the original velvia.
    I shoot a lot of 8x10 transparency film but it's from my freezer and i usually paid $1-2/sheet. I once walked into Freestyle Photo on sunset blvd after hearing about a pile of 8x10 e100vs in the freezer. I walked out with 150 sheets for $60. Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    I saw several boxes of 8x10 reversal films were sold at about $20 a sheet. Just amazing. Check this eBay item: 291116280056

Just wonder who is buying?
    Perhaps the notion that reasonably priced 'fresh film' is available is discounted as an Urban Legend by the millions of people in the world that believe film is no longer being made.

Andrew "The RedSun"

I can only afford to shoot Tri-x Ortho expired in 1983. I just want to empty my film boxes and decide what to do with my cameras