Thread: Eastman No 2

Eastman No 2

A gentleman here is selling an Eastman No. 2 Improved Model of Century View and Empire State No 2. I don't have much knowledge of the Eastman cameras, but I've seen Eastman No 2s. Can anyone explain the differences and going prices. He says it's in good condition (a pic is attached). Can't tell what lens it is and he's not really into cameras, he inherited it and is moving. The way it's laying I'm guessing either 8x10 or 11x14. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	115764

Re: Eastman No 2

In the picture, it looks like a giant camera! Find out what lens it has and the camera format size. Does it have the rear extension rail, accessories, tripod etc. It is very much like the Eastman 2D model.
    Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    In the picture, it looks like a giant camera! Find out what lens it has and the camera format size. Does it have the rear extension rail, accessories, tripod etc. It is very much like the Eastman 2D model.
    Jon
    It is huge Jon, at first I thought 8x10, but I understand an 11x14 was also made in this model. I will hopefully get to see it this weekend. If the bellow is on good condition and it has the basic accessories, I may be tempted although I've only shot up to 8x10.

IThe 2D cameras have three goroves in the focusing rail: One for the front standard, one for the rear standard and one for the tripod block. My eyes only see two grooves in the picture. That means that there iwas no tripod block.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    IThe 2D cameras have three goroves in the focusing rail: One for the front standard, one for the rear standard and one for the tripod block. My eyes only see two grooves in the picture. That means that there iwas no tripod block.
    The sliding tripod block is shown in the photo, attached to the bottom slot of the base.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Sorry. Guess I didn't look closely.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I am in the process of restoring this same model, mine is 8x10. The Model 2D came later (after 1925) and is darker in color- the D stands for dark. Various lens and shutters were used on these. I saw a similar model sold on e-bay recently for $371, but some people ask close to $500, depending on condition of course. I suggest you check e-bay for price guidance (and offer less). A lot of history on these cameras is also available on the Internet. Good luck.