Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tri-X turns 60 this year

W K Longcor

Re: Tri-X turns 60 this year

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    60 years old yes. Like most of us it has changed many times over the years and the current emulsions are nothing like the early ones. My favorite has not been made for years- Tri-X Ortho.
    That brings back good memories. Tri-X Ortho was the greatest for doing those "rugged" looking portraits of men. I think I may still have a 1/2 box or so of Tri-X Ortho in 5X7 size tucked away on a self somewhere. Of course, it has not been refrigerated in almost 18 years--- but that never bothered me much. Actually, now that I am retired from the business, it doesn't bother me at all!

Quote Originally Posted by W K Longcor View Post
    That brings back good memories. Tri-X Ortho was the greatest for doing those "rugged" looking portraits of men. I think I may still have a 1/2 box or so of Tri-X Ortho in 5X7 size tucked away on a self somewhere. Of course, it has not been refrigerated in almost 18 years--- but that never bothered me much. Actually, now that I am retired from the business, it doesn't bother me at all!
    Go shoot it! And then buy new film to keep it going!

I can remember how excited we were when Tri-X was introduced. I was shooting 35mm with a Kodak Retiinette that had a f/4.5 lens. Being able to make shots at twice the speed of Super-XX and pushing it even faster was wonderful for low light photography. By 1955 I had a Retina IIIc with a Schneider f/2 lens which made it even better.

As far as 4x5 films, Royal Pan X was my favorite when it was introduced a couple of years later. I felt that its texture was a lot smoother than Tri-X.
    al

Tri-X turns 60 this year

So do I. Still got some 8x10 that I am using.

Al -- I started out LF using Royal Pan X in 4x5 (ca 1979) -- but because that is what the camera store carried. I did not know yet about such things as smoother tones, etc.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China