Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-X turns 60 this year

Re: Tri-X turns 60 this year

60 years old yes. Like most of us it has changed many times over the years and the current emulsions are nothing like the early ones. My favorite has not been made for years- Tri-X Ortho.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I use it on 35mm and 120mm and would use it on 4x5 if they make it (not the TX320 stuff)
    Well this is old news and all that, but I used to shoot Tri-X 400 in 4x5 and 5x7 sheets when they used to make it...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Read that article awhile ago. I just feel I should warn people that candle wax ruins the emulsion.
    But you don't need a candle if the base is nitrate... (evil smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    2 of which I shot at EI3200 and pushed it, with horrible results.
    According to the docs, 1250 is max. TMY also doesn't really push past 1600.

And back to the topic, the article mentions that Kodak doesn't have any plans to celebrate Tri-X. Sheesh, if it was Disney marking an anniversary, there would be fireworks! Of course when it hit it's 50th, this was Kodak's response: "To mark the fiftieth anniversary of TRI-X film, the film's packaging will carry a special '50 years' seal throughout 2004." Nice, the package got a little logo. Have to plan something for November 1st.

I think something like this would go great with White Stripe's "Little Room" song. Alternate cameras and photographs.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Are you sure about that? Wouldn't shooting it at half-speed make it last twice as long. Wouldn't it be 120?

I've been stocking up on Tri-X in 120 because I decided, cost or not cost, if I was going shoot, I was going to shoot with my favorite film. I don't have a problem with the 320 in sheet film, but it doesn't seem to have the same look. I like how it handles highlights, but I seem to get overall better results in sheet film with HP5. It's probably just me and the way I do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Happy Birthday Tri-X.

My favorite 35mm film (in Rodinal or D-76), but I haven't shot it in LF.

I often shoot it at 1/2 box speed, so I think that makes it 30 years old, not 60.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Good grief!! I thought that Tri-x was older than dirt. Now you tell me that it is younger than me.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Apparently despite prior Tri-X sheet film in the 1930s to the contrary, Kodak marks the "birth" of Tri-X with the introduction of it in roll film format. I have no idea how much the formula has changed in the mean time.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Are you sure about that? Wouldn't shooting it at half-speed make it last twice as long. Wouldn't it be 120?
    You could be right – I was thinking that since the film sees twice as much light it must have younger eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by dtheld View Post
    Good grief!! I thought that Tri-x was older than dirt. Now you tell me that it is younger than me.
    There might be a way to feel a touch younger.

Tri-X sheet film is even more decrepit (sorry, more mature) than its 35mm version – the sheet film is 74 years old.

If you're older than that, I admire your dedication to our game! The "How old are we?" thread suggests there's a sizeable and energetic group of post-75 members around here who hit the field all the time. And without baby carriages for their gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    You could be right – I was thinking that since the film sees twice as much light it must have younger eyes!

There might be a way to feel a touch younger.

Tri-X sheet film is even more decrepit (sorry, more mature) than its 35mm version – the sheet film is 74 years old.

If you're older than that, I admire your dedication to our game! The "How old are we?" thread suggests there's a sizeable and energetic group of post-75 members around here who hit the field all the time. And without baby carriages for their gear!
    I think we need a new bowl on that one, because frankly, I've now moved into the next age group... I'm probably not the only one... And the sad other part of that, is a few really good ones have fallen off the chart RIP film Af...)

Yes, some of us passed 75 several years ago. I do travel lighter now usually only with the 8x10 and 7x17.

Happy Birthday to You , Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday Dear Tri-X, Happy Birthday to You! Every B&W 135 and MF photographer loves you. I have a drawer full of your 40-ish year old identical siblings, the first film I cut my teeth on as a teenager. Many LF photographers love you to bits.