Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-X turns 60 this year

Tri-X turns 60 this year

Very good article on Tri-X and the photographers who made wonderful photographs with it. It's worth the long read and it's not the usual evangelical piece that is usually written about film as one might find out there.

http://moreintelligentlife.com/conte...ctor?page=full
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Tri-X turns 60 this year

Too bad you didn't make the thread with a poll. How many still use Tri-X? In what format?

The film has quite a history, of course. It would be hard to point to another film that's been used more. Kodachrome is gone, but Tri-X is hanging around just fine.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Happy Birthday Tri-X.

My favorite 35mm film (in Rodinal or D-76), but I haven't shot it in LF.

I often shoot it at 1/2 box speed, so I think that makes it 30 years old, not 60.

The best film in the world. Just wish that I could afford to use it all the time.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Too bad you didn't make the thread with a poll. How many still use Tri-X? In what format?
    arghhh ! you're right Brian. wonder if polls can be added as an edit
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Read that article awhile ago. I just feel I should warn people that candle wax ruins the emulsion.

I use it on 35mm and 120mm and would use it on 4x5 if they make it (not the TX320 stuff)

I always have at least one 35mmm body loaded with Tri-X at any time. I also rate it at 200 and cook it in D76 1+1.

It will be a sad day if they ever stop making the yellow and green boxes of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I use it on 35mm and 120mm and would use it on 4x5 if they make it (not the TX320 stuff)
    This is one of the reasons I don't use Tri-X I won't use an emulsion thys doesn't translate to all formats, 320TX is not the same as 400TX.

So in response to the 2nd post about a poll, I don't shoot Tri-X I shoot HP5+ and I've only shot probably 5 rolls of Tri-X my entire life, 2 of which I shot at EI3200 and pushed it, with horrible results. HP5+ pushes to 3200 just fine. The other few rolls were out of necessity as the store was out of TMY-2 and I needed some 400 speed film.

I know it was a great film, and produces a look that is very remarkable, and so I celebrate it's birthday as respect to all the amazing photographers who have created glorious images with this classic film.

Happy Birthday Tri-X! Hope to still see your shots by others on your 75th birthday!

The article reminds me of the film "The Secret Life of Walter Middy". A trifle of a script that is a masterpiece of joyful entertainment in the final product. I myself use Tri-X 320 in 5x7. It fits my personality. Just another nostalgic luddite who is slow to evolve. New is not always improved.