Thread: Cheap and cheerful shutter options?

Cheap and cheerful shutter options?

Hello!

I am making myself an 8x10 camera just for the heck of it. I already have a lens and some holders but the lens, a lovely barrel 360mm Zeiss Apo-Germinar has no shutter. The rear opening is some 2 inches and I would much prefer to mount something behind the lens.
    What are my options if I don't have much money? Variable speeds are not very important, just bulb and instantaneous, some 1/30 or so.
    Ideal would be some old Thornton-Pickard focal plane shutter but where could I find one without breaking much bank?
    Pondered about using the Galli shutter but that seems too much of a hit-and-miss to me.

All ideas are welcome!

Re: Cheap and cheerful shutter options?

Packard will do it. You'll need to drill the lens board for an air tube fitting though nd the lens board would need to be large enough to mount the Packard. If it won't, one alternative would be to front mount the Packard.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Everybody in The US will suggest a Packard. As you're in Europe look for a LUC (German) or one of the similar shutters that were made in the UK. Unfortunatly these will fit the front of the lens. I have no idea if Thornton Pickard made a shutter big enough for your lens but Ian Grant, who is a member here, will know. He might even have one available.
    Pete.

Look for a Sinar Copal shutter from the 60s/early 70s, the olive-green version without the aperture dial. Sometimes they are sold defective because the blades don't fully close, but it's most likely a simple fix. It was on mine - which cost me about 55 €. The shutter works flawlessly. Good luck.

Guillotine Shutter - has it's limitations but cheap 'nuff.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I saw a listing for a cheap electronic shutter with a 40mm pupil. Considering that my Germinar is 360/9, that would make the maximum opening 40mm anyway, no? So, all good?

UPDATE: I have received the shutter, there is some vignetting but due to the HUGE image circle it won't even reach the image area I will be using. I am gonna buy one of those cheap Cokin knockoff filter holders off evilbay and hack it to accomodate the shutter. There is also a funky knob on the shutter and by flicking it lightly i achieve about 1/60 second speed. Will post pictures once this abomination is ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Everybody in The US will suggest a Packard. As you're in Europe look for a LUC (German) or one of the similar shutters that were made in the UK. Unfortunatly these will fit the front of the lens. I have no idea if Thornton Pickard made a shutter big enough for your lens but Ian Grant, who is a member here, will know. He might even have one available.
    Pete.
    I have a few TP shutters that will fit but no spares at the moment, they are all allocated to cameras or lenses. They are the most versatile of all the available shutters for barrel lenses and few in the US realise this. B&J sold them in the US rebadged under their own name, Kodak Ltd (UK) also sold them.

Ian

I have, in the past, adapted a leaf shutter from an oscilloscope ca,era for a DIY project. Usually by Alphax, these shutters have B-T and speeds to 1/50th (?). They can be had on auction sites for $50 at times complete with lens (only covers 6x6 cm though).

The limitations of these lenses and shutters have been discussed in threads on LFP before. Their posatives are that they are available at a low price and they work pretty well. They can be maintained by any competent shutter technician.

I had one mounted behind a spotting scope once on a T-adapter tube.. D DIY bracket held it in front of a 4x5 camera for sun rise shots.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!