Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Dry Plate Day - August 4, 2014 (Open for Discussion)

World Dry Plate Day - August 4, 2014 (Open for Discussion)

I would like to make a motion for the creation of a day of remembrance (August 4th) annually, to be known on the forum as "World Dry Plate Day" or similar. To be established specifically to honor Dr. Richard Leach Maddox (4 August 1816 – 11 May 1902) for his contributions to our craft. I am not aware of any other day of remembrance for Dr. Maddox, and would like to open this thread for the discussion of the subject.

Please feel free to post opinions "for and opposed" so that moderators and/or forum members can properly weigh in on the impact of establishing such an event on the forum. I am not seeking any credit for the creation of such an event, but I felt that it would be a nice to recognize Dr. Maddox who himself was extremely generous.

It would be nice if at least one moderator could jump into the discussion early to set the tone for the thread. Or to delete the thread if necessary.

My personal thoughts for the event would be to open a new thread in advance of 4 August each year to allow forum members to post images made from a dry plate (manufactured or handmade) exposed on or around August 4th (his birthday), as a tribute to Dr. Maddox and his accomplishments. I foresee no monetary element to the event. Participation in the thread would be voluntary.

Also, August 4th, 2016 will mark 200 years since his birth. Establishing such an event now in 2014 might help to fuel interest in Dry Plate photography.
    "Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds — and one that can be practiced by any imbecile." – Nadar, 1856

Re: World Dry Plate Day - August 4, 2014 (Open for Discussion)

Well, it sounds good to me. And I love deadlines to get me working. So now I need to learn and make dry plates.

Excellent plan!

There is already a World Wet Plate Day and it just passed on May 3rd. You may want to consider a different name to differentiate it from the other.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    There is already a World Wet Plate Day and it just passed on May 3rd. You may want to consider a different name to differentiate it from the other.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co
    What we ultimately call the day is also important. Thank you for bringing this up.

So, we already have "World Wet Plate Day", and we also have "Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day". Personally I don't think there would be any confusion, since it would fall during a different time of the year and have a different title. I had contemplated "International Dry Plate Day", but that didn't really ring, in my opinion. But, I do think "Dry Plate" should be in the name somewhere to get folks to thinking about the process as Dr. Maddox had used it.

I'm sure that over the first few years participation by members will be small. But, who knows. It could spark a wildfire of interest and discussion.
    "Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds — and one that can be practiced by any imbecile." – Nadar, 1856

multiplex

sounds like fun ... do they have to be exposed IN CAMERA? could they be darkroom printed or silver gelatin tintypes/silver gelatin ambrotypesque positives?

Personally, I think this is a fine idea. Additionally, I like the title, "World Dry Plate Day", as proposed. I don't believe there would be any confusion with the current World/Worldwide photography days. (Few people, for example, confuse a wet diaper with a dry one. ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Personally, I think this is a fine idea. Additionally, I like the title, "World Dry Plate Day", as proposed. I don't believe there would be any confusion with the current World/Worldwide photography days. (Few people, for example, confuse a wet diaper with a dry one. ;-) )
    Thanks Ralph . . . The diaper example you gave took a minute to "sink in". That was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sounds like fun ... do they have to be exposed IN CAMERA? could they be darkroom printed or silver gelatin tintypes/silver gelatin ambrotypesque positives?
    Just my opinion, I think it should be open to interpretation by the operator/printer. If it used a "gelatin dry plate", positive, negative, on metal, etc; that would be acceptable. Of course I wouldn't harp on anyone that "mis-interperated" what a gelatin dry plate is or should be. Though they may have to endure the wrath of the forum. It's all up for discussion. And I can imagine it will be an educational adventure for many. Especially me.

I also am considering printing on a gelatin dry plate and creating a "Pseudo Ambrotype". Would it fall into dry plate territory?. Probably.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    Just my opinion, I think it should be open to interpretation by the operator/printer. If it used a "gelatin dry plate", positive, negative, on metal, etc; that would be acceptable. Of course I wouldn't harp on anyone that "mis-interperated" what a gelatin dry plate is or should be. Though they may have to endure the wrath of the forum. It's all up for discussion. And I can imagine it will be an educational adventure for many. Especially me.

I also am considering printing on a dry plate and creating a "Pseudo Ambrotype". Would it fall into dry plate territory?. Probably.

thanks for the clarification ...

it would be printing on it instead of paper ( that is how i started ) i don;t see why it isn't a dry plate, seeing, its a dry-plate ...
    the in camera ( or whatever) dry plate anbrotypish images i have made all have a greenish grey hue to them because of the reversal developer,
    printed on / contacted on and developed with normal developer look like beautiful glass photographs ...

john

Everything I have heard (and read) is very encouraging. Such an event, though only lasting a day, very well may encourage folks who would like to practice "wet plate", but who haven't yet been driven to do so, to begin with a process that may be found simpler or less complicated. That would be interesting.