Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wollensak lens

Re: Wollensak lens

Velostigmats are good general-purpose lenses. Series IV was an f/6.3 anastigmat. Should be very serviceable, but I confess I've never used a series IV specifically.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've used one, nice little uncoated Tessar. Not worth a lot because it's fairly common, there are a lot of other f/6.3 Tessars out there, and people tend to like the f/4.5 Tessars. Still, a good lens for 8x10. Use it!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Mark, is it suitable for 5x7?

A 12" Tessar-formula lens will cover 5x7 with tons of room to spare. I once had a 12" Velostigmat in a #4 Betax, but it's been gone a while and I can't remember if it was a series II or series IV. Mine had the 5 degrees of soft-focus around the front ring, and I used it on 8x10. It was uncoated, sharp, low in contrast, and worthless in any kind of backlight due to flare. But that was in 1981... so if I was using it now I could probably get better results from it.

OK, being a little more empirical, at 4% light loss per reflective glass surface, this lens comes in with a whopping 32% non image forming light which makes it only 68% good. I don't think it's a tessar. Dialyt.

Jim is correct. I had one for quite a while very sharp stopped down to 22. If you are tempted to take it apart remember the way it goes back together. Mine was four air spaced cells very similar to my Artars

Steve

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Definitely a Tessar. I just took the back cell of mine apart to be sure; it's a cemented doublet, while the dialyt is two singles. Maybe the Series Ia f/6.3 is the dialyt? Or the Series V?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Series Ia is the cemented Protar like lens. Guess I'm just boogered. Funny how your memory works. Could have sworn I had one long ago that was 4 glass 4 groups. Thanks for setting me right Mark. In that case it's 76% good.

Like you Jim my memory is probably !!! not what it used to be. But the one I had was definately a dialyte. Cannot say now what series it was. It was f6.3 though.

The Velostigmat Series IV was used by Ansel Adam's butler, I heard. Moon over Heraldo was shot with one, don't cha know?