Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Plate Gear for Beginners

Scott Davis

Re: Wet Plate Gear for Beginners

For black trophy aluminum, you can order sheets cut in ANY size/shape you want from Main Trophy Supply. If you want some weird super tiny size, you may find yourself with a LOT, as you have to buy in full sheets of trophy aluminum (not sure how big the full sheet is off the top of my head, but 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 would net you a LOT to play with - more than 20 I think). If you call up Main Trophy and tell them you're doing wet plate, and they'll understand and hook you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Ooh, I like those ideas: cheap, fast and useful.
    Thanks, Ghost!

Is there any reason the silver bath is at an angle? Could I not simply use a tray, and cover it with another (larger) tray?
    Hey Ari,

Yes on the tray, but the plate must be immersed with a continuous motion to alleviate uneven sensitization. It's not as critical for larger plates but for smaller aluminum plates like 4x5 they tend to float. The angle is to prevent the plate from touching the sides because the collodion is fragile, also it allows you to use minimum silver nitrate to cover the plate surface.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Thanks for the explanation, Randy; I have to ask even the most obvious questions.

Thanks for the supplier, Scott.

http://www.lundphotographics.com makes nice tanks / hardware too. Not sure if they are in your price range, but it's an option.

You can do wetplate very cheaply, especially in 4x5. You'll end up shooting quarterplates with that camera, probably, due to how the plates are held in most holders you rig. It's a fine size to learn on, very frugal on chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Please feel free to add any other suggestions, or experiences, or things to avoid, as anything at this stage will help.
    Rather than asking questions one at a time for each step (you will have about 35 questions for Equipment, Chemicals, Mixing Chemicals, Pouring Chemicals, Developing, Varnishing....etc.) I highly recommend you invest in a quality manual like Quinn Jacobsons or John Coffers. All your questions are there. On the internet, you'll get 5 different answers for each question - it's very confusing for a beginner. With a $70 manual and DVDs (both above have them), and a $200 Speed Graphic and $200 worth of chemicals, you are off and running!

I teach wetplate workshops, and moderate the Collodion.com site and others. I have spent years answering question there, and watching others try to answer them. You will spend months more time, and hundreds of dollars more, by not buying a manual or attending a session with someone good. That's my advice! Since you are an experienced photographer and on this forum, I'd say do the manual. You will be pouring good plates the 2nd or 3nd session. If you try to wing it, you may not get good plates for 20 sessions.

Ari,

Garrett is right. The Quinn Jacobson book is available as an ebook and includes the videos. Well worth it. Better yet, find someone who can show you the process the first time. It helps so much to be able to see, first-hand, someone doing it. It is a beautiful process.

I have a 4x5 holder that works with plates that I can send you as well as a few 4x5 aluminum plates to get you started if you want.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Thanks, Jason; I just heard of Lund yesterday.

Garrett, if I couldn't listen to others' advice, I'd be a poor photographer.
    Thanks, I will do what you say, since I've tried to (affordably) get some workshops or tutoring here, but so far I've come up short.
    Tim, thank you for the generous offer; I will send you an email today; very much appreciated.

I'm also interested in starting wet plate. How messy is it? Do I need a second dedicated "wet plate camera"? One of my cameras came with a bunch of old 5x7 eastman plate holders. I believe they are for dry plate, but can they be used with wet plates?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

It's a little messy at first, but not outrageously so, and as you learn to handle the materials, it gets much cleaner. The dry plate holders will be contaminated by being in contact with the wet collodion and silver solution. That messes up the wood; better to convert a modern metal and plastic holder to a plate holder.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

So if I tried to use my current 5x7 field camera then it would probably get messy with Collodion?

Is dry plate any good?