View Poll Results: Your personal anxieties about LF (You can vote more than one)

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Limited local places to shoot

36 19.46%
  • 2) General costs & logistics (transportation, space, learning)

33 17.84%
  • 3) Time away from other priorities (family, job, pets, etc.)

39 21.08%
  • 4) My age/health/motivation/fulfillment

35 18.92%
  • 5) Gear (camera/lenses/tripod/enlarger/scanner)

10 5.41%
  • 6) Film & development

50 27.03%
  • 7) Printing & display/exhibitions

25 13.51%
  • 8) Scanning/digital processing

21 11.35%
  • 9) My post count (too low/too high) ;^)

5 2.70%
  • 10) Other: (Please share!)

26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Re: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

I have some 50 year friends that built their own house on many acres. I watched one local on a dozer make the dam for their pond, after the house was roofed they moved out of their tipi and kept building

I was there all along, to see them stock the pond and swim naked in it with Bluegill nibbling on all naughty bits

As soon as possible I pray I get permission to shoot LF as they have a paradise on a mile long gravel drive, horses and great angles to photograph

obviously give them any size print they want

the time is now or never
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have some 50 year friends that built their own house on many acres. I watched one local on a dozer make the dam for their pond, after the house was roofed they moved out of their tipi and kept building

I was there all along, to see them stock the pond and swim naked in it with Bluegill nibbling on all naughty bits

As soon as possible I pray I get permission to shoot LF as they have a paradise on a mile long gravel drive, horses and great angles to photograph

obviously give them any size print they want

the time is now or never
    Post that picture here when you get it. In 8x10.

Two other things come to mind: 1. Fear of losing footing (now approaching 70) while climbing boulders to get "the shot". I had two falls, one in the Adirondacks with my 4x5 gear which caused a shoulder separation and still bothers me, and a second where I fell on ice photographing patterns and reflections which messed up the other shoulder and caused a compression fracture in my humerus. They bother me almost daily and there are times when I can't lay on either side in bed, and 2. Radical change of favorite sites due to a) loss of habitat to development (including the planting of trees in perfectly good wildflower producing fields), b) effects of climate change, and c) the human "trampling syndrome (too much loved). I traveled two years ago to a favorite spot on the way to Lake Placid NY, where I had taken some of my best 4x5 work, and I couldn't believe the litter, erosion from foot trails from too many hikers/climbers, but more importantly, the death of virtually all of the birches and maples due to acid rain and warmer temps.

For safety, and though I spend most of my time in remote areas, I now bring a switchblade in case I get hassled including by motorcyclists riding on back trails (NJ Pine Barrens), or homeless who in warm weather pitch small tents in out of the places (but still close enough to roads). I had one occasion in the Pines where a dude say in his 30s comes out of the brush completely nude and swinging a "sizable package" and starts talking to me looking for "companionship". I simply stopped talking to him, moved to the other side of the bog and began shooting again, and ignored him. He eventually left. I surreptitiously booted my phone just in case I needed to get help.

Don't discount ticks, chiggers and plant allergic reactions which cause anxiety. I had chiggers last year for several weeks, the itching was pretty annoying. Lotions didn't work well. I now avoid some areas due to prior bad experiences.

Please permit me to add one more notable and seemingly omnipresent nemesis, the _reeking WIND!!!! I am not one to disgrace myself with use of foul language, but I tend to “let ‘er rip” like some amoral salty dog, when it comes to the vandal of all things temporary and fragile... and is it me or has the volatility increased over the years.

Countless number of photo journal entries over 38 years which speak of frustration over this challenging threat to good images. And let me say that the “waiting game” is not terribly conducive to satisfactory relationships. “Why are you late”, she would ask, and how would I not seem like an _ss using an excuse “well i was waiting for the wind to stop”.

I thought of another photography-related anxiety: Ilford going out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    Two other things come to mind: 1. Fear of losing footing (now approaching 70) while climbing boulders to get "the shot". I had two falls, one in the Adirondacks with my 4x5 gear which caused a shoulder separation and still bothers me, and a second where I fell on ice photographing patterns and reflections which messed up the other shoulder and caused a compression fracture in my humerus. They bother me almost daily and there are times when I can't lay on either side in bed, and 2. Radical change of favorite sites due to a) loss of habitat to development (including the planting of trees in perfectly good wildflower producing fields), b) effects of climate change, and c) the human "trampling syndrome (too much loved). I traveled two years ago to a favorite spot on the way to Lake Placid NY, where I had taken some of my best 4x5 work, and I couldn't believe the litter, erosion from foot trails from too many hikers/climbers, but more importantly, the death of virtually all of the birches and maples due to acid rain and warmer temps.

For safety, and though I spend most of my time in remote areas, I now bring a switchblade in case I get hassled including by motorcyclists riding on back trails (NJ Pine Barrens), or homeless who in warm weather pitch small tents in out of the places (but still close enough to roads). I had one occasion in the Pines where a dude say in his 30s comes out of the brush completely nude and swinging a "sizable package" and starts talking to me looking for "companionship". I simply stopped talking to him, moved to the other side of the bog and began shooting again, and ignored him. He eventually left. I surreptitiously booted my phone just in case I needed to get help.

Don't discount ticks, chiggers and plant allergic reactions which cause anxiety. I had chiggers last year for several weeks, the itching was pretty annoying. Lotions didn't work well. I now avoid some areas due to prior bad experiences.
    Living in NJ in retirement, I was thinking of spending some days in the Pine Barrens to shoot. IS it really that dangerous?

I had a lot of problems with ticks. I often use Permethrin impregnated clothes that I found works 100%. You can buy them on-line. They are pricey but the clothes are good for 70 washings. The company also has a service where you can send your clothes to them and they will impregnate you clothes with a 70 washing treatment.
    https://www.insectshield.com/collect...d-your-clothes

Or, you also can spray Permethrin on clothes which are good for 2-4 weeks. Sawyer has the spray cans available as do other companies.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc.../dp/B08J9P9QGY

Alan,

I have spent hundreds of hours traversing and photographing the NJ Pines over the years, in some cases leading photo trips there. Some of my favorite spots are Bryndon Byrne (Lebanon State Forest), Bass River, Martha's Furnace, Webs Mill, Northern Cape May, Whitesbog, Atsion, Batsto and Warren Grove. Some of the best spots in season are miles from main roads accessible via the matrix of fire roads which proliferate throughout.

Having worked in NYC for quite a while, I never felt threatened, whereas when you are isolated in remote areas accessible by dirt bikers, homeless etc, far from main roads, I feel one has to be prepared. I have never had a confrontation in the Pines, but had some very weird interactions.

Deer ticks are common from Dec-April during warm temps with Lone Star ticks the rest of the year. They all carry disease. May and June you can hit a "nest" of tick nympths and find hundreds of tiny black specks crawling around on your shoes and socks. DEET works well but is not a fail safe as ticks can get on jackets and shirts. Wear knee high boots when in bogs or near water ways if possible (not conducive for hiking) to avoid chiggers. I would also avoid Dovers Forge and Stafford Forge as these are areas where I have had some issues.

The Pines have a wonderful subtle beauty which I have found difficult at times to capture on film. Compositions do not come easily there, and you have to work hard to pull out something of interest (at least for me).

I am back there in May (camping) and again randomly from late June to mid August in various locations. There are many rare and globally endangered plant species, but most of these gems are "hidden" by predominance of Pitch Pine-Oak forests interspersed with White Cedar bogs and the occasional savannah. Late Spring, but particularly summer and again in fall with change in color are times to explore. Beaver, Turkey, River Otters and Timber Rattlesnakes (rare) are endemic.

You might consider reading John McPhee's "The Pine Barrens" and look for botanizing postings online by Karl Anderson (now retired) and other which speak of good locations. If you need more information on spots to visit and best times, PM me. Check out some of my Pine Barren images in threads on this site. There is at least one other subscriber here who spends time in the Pines for LF.

Best,

PD

PD Thanks. I couldn't find your pictures. When I click on Photos, all I get is No Recent Activity.

Waters Edge pages 290-291.

Also Waters Edge Page 352.

I don't know if Joe O'Hara is still active, but he has some very fine work from several spots in the pines, I believe Whitesbog in particular. You might PM him for good spots.