View Poll Results: Your personal anxieties about LF (You can vote more than one)

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Limited local places to shoot

36 19.46%
  • 2) General costs & logistics (transportation, space, learning)

33 17.84%
  • 3) Time away from other priorities (family, job, pets, etc.)

39 21.08%
  • 4) My age/health/motivation/fulfillment

35 18.92%
  • 5) Gear (camera/lenses/tripod/enlarger/scanner)

10 5.41%
  • 6) Film & development

50 27.03%
  • 7) Printing & display/exhibitions

25 13.51%
  • 8) Scanning/digital processing

21 11.35%
  • 9) My post count (too low/too high) ;^)

5 2.70%
  • 10) Other: (Please share!)

26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Re: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Adding to ic-racer's point:

I live in a building complex with a pretty nice garden area and big beautiful trees. A few years ago I started photographing the close-up details of the trees with both a 4x5 and a Rollei SL66; after a few outings, the security guards started giving me a hard time about the tripod in the grass area, what was I photographing, did I have permission (to photograph a tree?!?).

It is really annoying and sometimes unnerving.

i understand over-suspicious security. I was once threatened with Trespass for using my 8 inch Telescope in a State Park where I was camping. I have been questioned by law enforcement about my tripods. I have been threatened with arrest by a city Sheriff's deputy for shooting an eviction with my Range Finger. I stopped long enough to contact the desk sergeant and the Watch commander, register an informal complaint and then go back to shooting the process. The deputy did not threaten me the second time.

My philosophy is to be polite, to answer relevant and legal questions, to register complaint if I am harrassed, and to go do it again. During the lockdown, I was photographing empty gyms and park playgrounds with the rangefinder and RB67. While I was observed by Police, I was not bothered. Maybe it was a result of being old and fat. I don't know.

I have never had any serious problems with official security/police. But, I have given up photographing in rural locations near where I live because guys in pickup trucks, and it was always guys in pickup trucks, would park about 500 feet from me and watch me. I'm not sure what they were thinking as none of them ever spoke to me. I assume it was pure intimidation and it worked...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Richard,

I shoot alot in rural areas. I've never had that, but they may ignore me because of my beard and my pickup. But I avoid people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    Richard,

I shoot alot in rural areas. I've never had that, but they may ignore me because of my beard and my pickup. But I avoid people in general.

I have the beard, maybe I need a truck

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Eric Woodbury

I'm in the "other" camp. I'm still shooting all the time and I already have so many negatives to print that I worry I won't get to all them in my lifetime.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I had one run-in with a Stockton Police officer who prevented me from photographing in the Port of Stockton. I was ready to go to jail over it but during the heated exchange I took a close look around and decided that there was nothing to photograph that caught my eye so I gave up and drove out.

The only other encounter with law enforcement that I recall was in 1996 when a friend and I were out observing the Great Comet of 1996 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hyakutake with binoculars in rural San Benito County. Around 2am a County Sheriff out on patrol pulled up and, leaving his headlights on of course, came over to see what was going on. He got into observing the comet - waxing about the wonders and infinity of the universe and all. Turned out to be a friendly encounter.

Age, 91, and lack of freedom to photograph in many beautiful areas.I have a freezer full of film and have told my family I hope to die as I expose the last sheet.

Just read the last few posts...and two things stand out - "those guys in pickup trucks," and being anxious in the middle of nowhere. As for the first...don't get me wrong - I love pickup trucks! But...just what is it about "those guys in pickup trucks?" They can seem (and sometimes actually be) so very angry and aggressive! As for being alone - my problem is not being so in the middle of nowhere...I love the middle of nowhere and feel quite at home wherever that place might be. My problem is being alone...in a car wash...where there is no chance of escape until its over!

multiplex

still not anxious and have started making my own emulsion again .. I haven't used up all my film though ...