View Poll Results: Your personal anxieties about LF (You can vote more than one)

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Limited local places to shoot

36 19.46%
  • 2) General costs & logistics (transportation, space, learning)

33 17.84%
  • 3) Time away from other priorities (family, job, pets, etc.)

39 21.08%
  • 4) My age/health/motivation/fulfillment

35 18.92%
  • 5) Gear (camera/lenses/tripod/enlarger/scanner)

10 5.41%
  • 6) Film & development

50 27.03%
  • 7) Printing & display/exhibitions

25 13.51%
  • 8) Scanning/digital processing

21 11.35%
  • 9) My post count (too low/too high) ;^)

5 2.70%
  • 10) Other: (Please share!)

26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Re: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

I just brought 19 sheets of T-Max 4x5 to the only local lab that wil still process LF film.

The cost ot pick up the negs will be $65!

When I first got into LF I could get unopened boxes of barely out of date film for peanuts at the old Houston Camera Show. I was able to get the B&W developed in an X-Ray darkroom . . .for maybe lunch for the X-Ray Tech (a friend).

Today everyone pays retail for everything. I would shoot X-ray film again if I knew of a clinic with a darkroom. Every clinic is digital now.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

No disrespect intended, but my English isn't "that good". For a moment I thought was reading part of a play written by Shakespeare. But, then I realized, I understand Shakespeare. So, what does it mean? :-)

Cheers!

I didn't order the $154.99 box of film. It was just an observation.

Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Monty Python's Life of Brian.
    That's changes everything. Taken out of context, I couldn't figure it out. I would have seen this film when it was first released. But haven't seen it since. It does have that Shakespearean flavor.
    "Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds — and one that can be practiced by any imbecile." – Nadar, 1856

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I just brought 19 sheets of T-Max 4x5 to the only local lab that wil still process LF film.

The cost ot pick up the negs will be $65!

When I first got into LF I could get unopened boxes of barely out of date film for peanuts at the old Houston Camera Show. I was able to get the B&W developed in an X-Ray darkroom . . .for maybe lunch for the X-Ray Tech (a friend).

Today everyone pays retail for everything. I would shoot X-ray film again if I knew of a clinic with a darkroom. Every clinic is digital now.
    Drew that's crazy! Why not at least develop at home... A large format film setup would cost you about double that price, but would totally pay for itself after 2 runs.

That Kodak will stop making film affordable enough for the masses to shoot.

I don't shoot film because of the resolution it can provide, I shoot it because it allows me hi-resolution on a (relatively) low "per-shot" cost basis. Even when shooting 5x7 and color film, it'd take me a LOT of sheet of film(even at today's market pricing, with market pricing commercial processing for said film) to equal the cost of even a *used* 50-80mp digital back and accompanying system.

Don't get me wrong, I love digital as well. It's a 50/50 for me. Digital can give me that creative "edge" and for certain applications it's what I'd prefer to shoot. However, for myself and my personal photography, I still like the way that film renders the subject matter I choose to photograph.

Although I am fortunate enough to have a chest freezer totally full of MF and LF film, and it can provide many years of shooting based on my current consumption rate, I still feel obligated to purchase a box of Provia 8x10 or Portra/Ektar 8x10 from time to time(at current market prices!). This I feel is enough of a "band aid" to show dealers that I purchase through(B&H, Adorama, Badger Graphic) that despite the consumption rate of sheet film being lower than it was a decade ago, there are still people out there that want those products.

I'm NOT anxious, but I am prepared to face the music: FILM is still going away, despite our best intentions to prolong its use.

-Dan

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    No disrespect intended, but my English isn't "that good". For a moment I thought was reading part of a play written by Shakespeare. But, then I realized, I understand Shakespeare. So, what does it mean? :-)

Cheers!

I didn't order the $154.99 box of film. It was just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    That's changes everything. Taken out of context, I couldn't figure it out. I would have seen this film when it was first released. But haven't seen it since. It does have that Shakespearean flavor.
    And you didn't even bother with a web search! HAHAHAHA! Monty Python now equates to Shakespeare! "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read," wrote Mark Twain. And so the man who does not search has no advantage over the man who can't search. You are sentenced to rent a bunch of Monty Python films and watch them! Prepare to laugh your arse off! You know you need to have your horizons broadened. And after those, it's the Three Stooges. They used view cameras in some of those skits, too.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    And you didn't even bother with a web search! HAHAHAHA!
    I swear. I didn't find any Monty Python sketches that referred to 5x7 cameras. But, you did. Next thing you'll be telling me is that you're here for an argument. ;-)
    "Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds — and one that can be practiced by any imbecile." – Nadar, 1856

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Dust on the film.
    All we are is dust on the film...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    All we are is dust on the film...
    violins play

Cost for Provia 100F 4x5 sheet film just keeps rising. B&H is now only selling the Professional boxes of 20 sheets at $72.50 each. or $3.625 a sheet. (Recently snagged 2 slightly dated boxes on eBay for $80.)Then my mail order E-6 development to Colorado is $2.50 a sheet. And that cost used to be $2 a sheet just a few years ago. So a base film cost now of $6.12 a sheet. Although it was always expensive enough that I rarely ever bracketed and chose subjects carefully, the last couple years have been cutting back on exposing film. This year of 2014 have exposed 31 sheets that have kept and probably tossed a half dozen more. Another major expense is drum scanning for anything I might seriously print that has remained for years at about $80 for a 400mb scan. For both film and scanning the other issue is availability.

So where does one go? I shoot color landscapes. I've owned 6 digital cameras since the first 1 megapixels designs rose and all they have been used for is information snapshots or closeup and macro. But none were DSLRs. My 14.7 mp G10 is the only one capable of printing reasonably to at least 12x15 inches. So recently seeing the dim future with 4x5 bought into a Sony A6000 system that has been a bit below $2k investment to this point. Thus far have been impressed by the results though will need to gain stiching and blending skills to be able to match print sizes from my view camera and even then there are many landscape subjects that only movements or single moment captures do justice with.