View Poll Results: Your personal anxieties about LF (You can vote more than one)

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Limited local places to shoot

36 19.46%
  • 2) General costs & logistics (transportation, space, learning)

33 17.84%
  • 3) Time away from other priorities (family, job, pets, etc.)

39 21.08%
  • 4) My age/health/motivation/fulfillment

35 18.92%
  • 5) Gear (camera/lenses/tripod/enlarger/scanner)

10 5.41%
  • 6) Film & development

50 27.03%
  • 7) Printing & display/exhibitions

25 13.51%
  • 8) Scanning/digital processing

21 11.35%
  • 9) My post count (too low/too high) ;^)

5 2.70%
  • 10) Other: (Please share!)

26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Re: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

At 75, I started 4x5 LF this year and my back is giving out. My heavy medium format kit isn't helping the situation either.

My biggest anxiety when shooting film is that something will happen and I'll not get a usable shot, whether due to a light leak, a shutter mishap, or similar. I don't have a lot of time to do LF photography at the moment, and wasting time, effort and money is a sadness. I haven't shot my 8x10 since my last outing, where light leaks ruined all but one shot due to a camera fault.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It's not anxiety, but concern. As I approach 92 years in the next month, I find it harder to carry the equipment and get it on a tripod. I also don't have the energy to make more than 3 or 4 negatives per day.

Being a world class introvert, my anxiety with LF photography has always been that I hate drawing attention to myself. Setting up a tripod and fixing a giant camera to it is guaranteed to get you noticed. I hate having an audience, but once I’m set up, I can usually block out distractions. One other anxiety is my reluctance to venture onto what I assume to be private property to get a photo. If I see someone, I always ask first. Years ago, a friend and I were chewed out by a property owner for setting up in a field he owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Being a world class introvert, my anxiety with LF photography has always been that I hate drawing attention to myself. Setting up a tripod and fixing a giant camera to it is guaranteed to get you noticed. I hate having an audience, but once I’m set up, I can usually block out distractions. One other anxiety is my reluctance to venture onto what I assume to be private property to get a photo. If I see someone, I always ask first. Years ago, a friend and I were chewed out by a property owner for setting up in a field he owned.
    Me too. On both scores. But it was worth it. Here's the shot. (taken with MF)

Snowset
    by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Me too. On both scores. But it was worth it. Here's the shot. (taken with MF)

Snowset
    by Alan Klein, on Flickr

That’s a beauty — nice light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    That’s a beauty — nice light.
    Thanks. Yeah, the woman was really upset I was on their property. She sent her husband after me. He was laid back when I explained I didn't see any signs that it was private. Apparently, it's happened before. I got his email address and sent him a copy of the picture about a month later. Funny thing, I was just driving by at the right time and noticed the light and snow with all the pinks and blues. The property is on the main road a few miles from where I live but next to county property. So it's easy to get confused especially when you're blinded by the light

Yes...good idea to make amends by giving a copy to the property owner.

Funny (and poignant) story. Years ago I noticed a truly wonderful old maple next to a farmhouse as I was driving past. Well after the fall though - so this tree was devoid of leaves...and the cloudy backlight was spectacular - moody. While I was not specifically out to photograph...I did happen to have a vintage Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 RF with me, so I circled back to compose a photo. As I did this, an elderly woman suddenly appeared from the farmhouse. "You can't take that picture...the leaves are gone!" She seemed genuinely pissed...not because I was there with my camera generally - but because, well, the leaves were gone!

Long story short...I gave the woman a mounted, framed print of this photo - and many years later after the woman had died, I established a friendship with her daughters family...who by then had moved into the same house. Sound like a cliche...but over the fireplace mantle in that house, there was my photograph...which, according to the daughter, her late mother had treasured!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post

Funny (and poignant) story. Years ago I noticed a truly wonderful old maple next to a farmhouse as I was driving past. Well after the fall though - so this tree was devoid of leaves...and the cloudy backlight was spectacular - moody. While I was not specifically out to photograph...I did happen to have a vintage Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 RF with me, so I circled back to compose a photo. As I did this, an elderly woman suddenly appeared from the farmhouse. "You can't take that picture...the leaves are gone!" She seemed genuinely pissed...not because I was there with my camera generally - but because, well, the leaves were gone!

Long story short...I gave the woman a mounted, framed print of this photo - and many years later after the woman had died, I established a friendship with her daughters family...who by then had moved into the same house. Sound like a cliche...but over the fireplace mantle in that house, there was my photograph...which, according to the daughter, her late mother had treasured!
    What a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post

That's a wonderful story. It teaches a lesson. Forget saving your photos on drives and the cloud or worrying about what heirs will do with your pictures. (Your wife's next husband will probably throw them all out anyway. ). Make blowups, frame them, and give them to friends and family. They will treasure them and while you're still alive, always give you thanks and appreciation. What could be better?