View Poll Results: Your personal anxieties about LF (You can vote more than one)

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Limited local places to shoot

36 19.46%
  • 2) General costs & logistics (transportation, space, learning)

33 17.84%
  • 3) Time away from other priorities (family, job, pets, etc.)

39 21.08%
  • 4) My age/health/motivation/fulfillment

35 18.92%
  • 5) Gear (camera/lenses/tripod/enlarger/scanner)

10 5.41%
  • 6) Film & development

50 27.03%
  • 7) Printing & display/exhibitions

25 13.51%
  • 8) Scanning/digital processing

21 11.35%
  • 9) My post count (too low/too high) ;^)

5 2.70%
  • 10) Other: (Please share!)

26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

[Poll to follow in a moment.]

I've designed this poll because I’m curious about general attitudes around here, and though it asks about your anxieties (if you have any), I'd be pleased if the options triggered additional comments about why you're attracted to LF as well.

For example, one might be worried about the disappearance of a favorite film (#6), but the psychological fulfillment (#4) that comes with composing w/ another film in your portrait studio, or a favorite landscape, might greatly out-weigh your #1 misgiving – and be the primary attraction to our game.

As for me, I'll have to vote #4 due to an ankle stiffness that used to come and go in my younger years, but doesn't seem to be disappearing anymore . It's not bad enough to end my years as a deep-woods hiker – but that day may eventually arrive. So I feel very fortunate that my location offers a super-abundance of interesting landscapes just a few steps away from my local U.S. Nat'l Forest roads.

Please tell us, what is (or might become) your #1 personal concern about LF – and is there any attraction that compensates or makes up for it?

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Re: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

I have no anxiety about shooting LF. It's just part of my regular, everyday workflow. Film runs out? I'll find some. That runs out? I'll make some. Processing...well, I do all my own and mix my own chems from scratch anyway, so that's a non-issue. Printing, displaying, scanning, exhibiting...all non issues.

No, life isn't perfect in LF-ville, but I'm set on gear, it's part of my professional life, I'm relatively young (late 40's), have two Land Rovers (so the walking/hiking is a non-issue too), and my post count is under 1000. My personal #1 concern is actually the ability to get around. I worry about becoming injured or just old and not being able to walk or drive.

I do have a recurring fear about not being able to get out and shoot, so right now my priority in life is to shoot as much as I can so that I have a body of work I can dip into as I get into that period of my life.

This should be an interesting thread.

My only anxiety about LF, in terms of my own work, is that is that there is less and less that it is best at, either looking at individual characteristics or a useful combination of them.

It sort of reminds me of Leica. Used to the camera you'd go to if you wanted the quietest camera. Or a smaller but still high quality camera. Or a really rugged camera. no batteries needed. Now we're basically down to public aura and self-image. As a tool LF, like Leica, is a solution to a problem but less and less often the best solution.

There have been many occasions where I'm working on an idea that I think I'll use LF for--even begin shooting in LF--and I end up switching to digital since I can better reach my goals that way.

Where's the anxiety? Working with LF, with film, is cool and is increasingly cool and it becomes less and less common. It's enjoyable. I *like* physical things and don't particularly enjoy sitting at the computer. I hate to see it fade from my life.

--Darin

Preston Birdwell

Since use color transparency film (and a smattering of color neg) the very limited offerings and fewer and fewer labs that do E-6 bugs me. I suppose that I will go to B&W film when the color materials are gone, but I'd have to farm out development, at least in the near term.

Like all of who are 60+, I think we are anxious about losing our independence and ability to get around as we get older. I'll continue to wander around until I can't do it any longer, but I don't relish the inevitability of it.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

1) Spotting negatives.

1a) That Heroique will post yet another survey/poll that I will feel obliged to respond to.

Kevin Kolosky

I said "other". My #1 anxiety is carrying the equipment. As one gets older it gets tougher and tougher to carry all of the gear needed.

I'm less worried about the labs that process E-6 as I am about getting it in 4x5 and especially 8x10... The gear cost are there, but mostly it's the E-6 cost and the access to it, Velvia50 especially, that freaks me out.

Really in the USA it's only Velvia100 and Provia100f

That's it...

And finding in-date 8x10... And then paying for it... Eeek!

The B&W I'm not worried about at all...

Mine? Making the effort to start doing exhibitions.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

No Anxieties..

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Since I use color transparency film (and a smattering of color neg) the very limited offerings and fewer and fewer labs that do E-6 bugs me.
    I was anxious when Washington state had only one remaining E-6 lab for LF film.

The sword of Damocles was suspended above it ... by a slender thread.

Well, the sword finally dropped – at least it cured me of that particular anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I said "other". My #1 anxiety is carrying the equipment. As one gets older it gets tougher and tougher to carry all of the gear needed.
    I'm certain my Ries tripod is responsible for the bad ankle I mentioned.

But a carbon fiber tripod just wouldn't have given me so much joy.

The Ries stays until the ankle gives out. Guess I can tolerate pain from my loved ones!