Thread: Which camera to choose... For portrait, landscape, close ups, wet plate and digital

Which camera to choose... For portrait, landscape, close ups, wet plate and digital

Totally new to this, and overwhelmed by information :-)

I have started to look for a camera for wet plate collodion, and have found LF to be interesting. I am looking for a 4x5 camera that can be used for wet plate, portrait, landscape, and (maybe) close ups... And it would be very interesting if I could attach my Phase One back for Hasselblad to it (at least for learning purposes).

Is this possible with one system? I have been looking at a few wooden models, but are unsure about the possibility to attach the digital back.

For the digital back I guess something like this would fit:

"Widepan Adapter Hasselblad Magazine to 4x5 Body"
    "4X5 moveable digital back Hasselblad"

Price for the camera? Not more than necessary...
    Last edited by tbo; 11-May-2014 at 14:28. Reason: Removing ebay links

Re: Which camera to choose... For portrait, landscape, close ups, wet plate and digit

Quote Originally Posted by tbo View Post

Is this possible with one system? I have been looking at a few wooden models, but are unsure about the possibility to attach the digital back.

Price for the camera? Not more than necessary...
    I would suggest the Cyclo Poco old camera. It used to attach a whole bicycle to it (no kidding)! It would easily attach a digital back like your Phase One.

Re: Which camera to choose... For portrait, landscape, close ups, wet plate and digit

You will need a Graflok back to attach the adapter for the digital back. A revolving back such as from a Toyo view camera (many available and not too expensive) would give you the Graflok feature. The revolving feature would make it a lot handier than having to actually remove the back of the camera to go from vertical to horizontal compassion and vice versa.

basically any camera with a graflok back will grant you phase one access. id go with a linhof if you want to do all that stuff, it gives you a little more movements than a speed graphic and has a decent bellows draw for macro. deardorffs are great cameras, and if you get a 4x5 you can get a 5x7 back and have 2 formats in 1 if thats your style. I've had a few different brands the past few years but recently i picked up a linhof and i love it. after a long time of trying to find what works for me its nice to know i finally found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Deardorff 5x7 with 4x5 back. It has the bellows draw and is a proven tool that has been used for what you ask about for decades.
    Thanks very much for the feedback. Looks like lovly cameras - but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment (if the prices I can see on auction sites is correct).

Yes, the problem now is to learn how to spot a graflok back - it is difficult to use auction sites as learning grounds, as a lot of sellers know little or nothing about the items they are selling...

Is it enough to have a graflok (for the digital back) - or do I have to watch out for difficulties using wet plate collodion on some cameras?

I guess this would qualify as a graflok back?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	115264

Would it be any problems using a wista 45 sp for wet plate collodion?

Quote Originally Posted by tbo View Post
    Thanks very much for the feedback. Looks like lovly cameras - but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment (if the prices I can see on auction sites is correct).
    Depends on your price range (which you didn't specify). Keh Camera currently lists a Toyo 45C at $199, which will certainly give you the Graflok back (as well as full movements).

Quote Originally Posted by greenbank View Post
    Depends on your price range (which you didn't specify). Keh Camera currently lists a Toyo 45C at $199, which will certainly give you the Graflok back (as well as full movements).
    Sorry for not specifying - it depends on a lot of things - I started out in the 200-500 USD range, but I see now that I also find cameras up to 1400 USD that looks interesting.... So who knows what I might sell to get something I really want ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, I have now found a camera to experience with.