Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Processing question

  1. #11
    8x10, 5x7, 4x5, et al Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    5,438

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    However then you also need color correction filters for the blue cast in the shadows and then you lose light anyway
    A "blue cast" in b&w film???

    The OP said in his original post that he's using Acros or Delta 100.

    - Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

  2. #12
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    A "blue cast" in b&w film???

    The OP said in his original post that he's using Acros or Delta 100.

    - Leigh
    Yes, however there was mention of shooting Portra160 at 100 and I got on thinking color was also subject matter in the thread. :/

  3. #13
    Roger Thoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, Flagstaff AZ
    Posts
    1,234

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    A "blue cast" in b&w film???

    The OP said in his original post that he's using Acros or Delta 100.

    - Leigh
    Leigh maybe you should re-read the OP's original post and your reply in post #2.

    Roger

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    250

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Remember that "better" is relative, and the OP may be looking for contrast
    Yeah, blown highlights and blocked shadows in night shots maybe what the OP is looking for, lol. As far as contrast - it'll be there no matter what.

  5. #15
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Yeah, blown highlights and blocked shadows in night shots maybe what the OP is looking for, lol. As far as contrast - it'll be there no matter what.
    Umm yes... That's what in saying... Some people like that look....

    Just because you don't like blown highlights doesn't mean everyone is like you...

  6. #16
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,743

    Re: Processing question

    You really don't need to filter color neg film in-camera to adjust for shifts in the color of the scene except when the difference is extreme. It is easily done in the print or the scan.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 68
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    250

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Umm yes... That's what in saying... Some people like that look....

    Just because you don't like blown highlights doesn't mean everyone is like you...

    Yes, advise the OP to push the film. Nothing better to do with an extreme subject brightness range like a lit storefront window at night than push the film, lol! That way you can get those glorious, detail-free highlights that you could easily coax out of a flat neg of said scene but without having a choice.

    Never mind experience and knowledge, guess it's all just personal preference, right?

  8. #18
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Yes, advise the OP to push the film. Nothing better to do with an extreme subject brightness range like a lit storefront window at night than push the film, lol! That way you can get those glorious, detail-free highlights that you could easily coax out of a flat neg of said scene but without having a choice.

    Never mind experience and knowledge, guess it's all just personal preference, right?
    Yes... It is about personal preference... If you think otherwise then you should stop trying to be an artist and become a teacher... You'll never do anything great if you don't break the rules, you'll just be another lemming.

  9. #19
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,743

    Re: Processing question

    Please. Give us a break. What have you done that is "great". You really think you are such an accomplished artist that you can make such pronouncements without looking like a complete fool?

    Artist make aesthetic choices based on knowing their medium and their tools. If one is getting blown highlights and blocked shadows because they chose to do it that's one thing. If they are getting them because they don't know how to control these things it is quite another.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 68
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

  10. #20
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Processing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Please. Give us a break. What have you done that is "great". You really think you are such an accomplished artist that you can make such pronouncements without looking like a complete fool?

    Artist make aesthetic choices based on knowing their medium and their tools. If one is getting blown highlights and blocked shadows because they chose to do it that's one thing. If they are getting them because they don't know how to control these things it is quite another.
    I didn't say I'm great, I didn't tout being good at anything, I spoke of personal preference, and that art is personal.

Similar Threads

  1. Sheets processing question
    By Professional in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2011, 07:58
  2. Processing Question
    By Ralph Barker in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2005, 09:53
  3. hp5 plus processing question
    By Aaron_3437 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2003, 01:55
  4. JOBO Processing Question
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3-Dec-1998, 12:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •