Thread: recommendation for a few accessories for my Horseman 4x5 needed! :)

recommendation for a few accessories for my Horseman 4x5 needed! :)

hi everyone,

This is my first post here so bear with me...I recently got my own 4x5 (here a link to it, though this is not where i purchased it: http://www.adorama.com/HMLX45.html ) I got it for an amazing $270 at a christmas auction at my school (I go to RIT for photography). It came with some sweet film, enough film holders for now, a cable release and a lens.. There are two things at this point i'd like to add to my gear: A good tripod and a dark focusing cloth. Obviously there a hundreds of tripods to choose from. I get student discounted prices from Induro & Benro. For Induro I was thinking of one of their Ally 8M At-Series tripods. I saw the AT313 and the AT413. If i get this, I need a recommendation for a head from them to go with it that will support the weight of my 4x5!... Ive read a ball head is usually not the best depending on size...

For Benro, I like the A2192TB1 and C2182TB1. I think these include heads? which one would you recommend the second one is pricier but it is carbon fiber

If anyone has a suggestion for a tripod i would greatly appreciate any guidance. I need something that will be VERY reliable and not insanely heavy. I can manage heavy but i don't need a tripod with a load capacity of like 45 pounds, just unnecessary lol.

also i dont know where to go looking for a good focusing cloth/hood. I just had been using a black fleece up until now but its pretty inconvenient and not practical for warm weather.

Maybe ebay? possibly somewhere else? Could someone maybe even pvt msg me or thread reply this with a link to a listing online or a link to a place where i can get one for a decent price. I don't even know brands or materials/varieties. It doesnt have to be "new" just working condition and not on its way downhill..i.e. i shouldn't need to replace it anytime soon.

Thanks for your help in advance everyone!

Happy Sunday!
    Jason

Re: recommendation for a few accessories for my Horseman 4x5 needed! :)

Hi Jason, and welcome.

Given the large number of tripods available used, I personally would not consider buying a new one.

I have two Majestic tripods, sturdy enough to support anything I own, including my car for an oil change.

For a focusing cloth, again there are many available. You can also use a black XXL tee shirt.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Hello Jason and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't buy a used focussing hood. Someone before you might have used some greasy hair oil on their hair! The cheapest way to go is to use a black T shirt or sweatshirt. For 4x5 cameras I own a BTZS hood and it works great. They are available at Badger Graphics for $59.95. For my 8x10 I use a BlackJacket focussing cloth available at BlackJacket in the 4x5 size for $75.00. The BTZS is fast and easy to use. The BlackJacket is a little weird (it has sleeves for your arms) and slower to use but boy does it get dark under it.

I don't have any experience with Induro or Benro so I'll let someone else comment there. I use a wooden Ries A100 with my Sinar P monorail but I practically stole the Ries off Ebay. You might look at a used aluminum Gitzo or a Majestic tripod if you want to save some money. I highly recommend a pan/tilt head over a ball head for your 15 pound Horseman.

Remember that tripod/head choice is a personal thing just like camera and lens choice. Everyone has their preferences.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I highly recommend a pan/tilt head over a ball head for your 15 pound Horseman.
    +100
    Absolutely. I should have mentioned that.

Ball heads are designed for video work. Perhaps they work great for that.
    I don't know, since I don't shoot video.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Leigh and I both will tell you to buy what you can used. The for sale section on here, KEH, Ebay and possibly Craigs List are your friends. You may also want to join the APUG forum. They have a for sale section on there too.

The best advice anyone on here can give you is to spend your money on film.