Thread: Durst Pictochrom users. help needed!

Talking Durst Pictochrom users. help needed!

Hello there. I recently purchased a pictochrom plus. I have the user manual.
    First i have set the enlarger to timer mode.
    Second enter the filter value 31y 33m 0c for a grade 2 contrast filter
    Lens and f value set
    Time set
    Then when i expose it changes the filtration as no filtration selected. Does anybody knows why?
    Another problem is that when i manually enter the time 8s and then make a secuence of 1/3 stop increments the enlarger changes this values too. Anyway to get this machine working on fully manual?
    Hope somebody can help! Thanks.

Re: Durst Pictochrom users. help needed!

This enlarger operates a loosed loop light. Trying to do time based exposure will be pita.

2 mode are available: timer and VNCA mode. according to user manual timer mode should work as any lab timer...
    do u have any experience with this enlarger?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Anyway to get this machine working on fully manual?
    Hope somebody can help! Thanks.
    It's not the meaning of that type of enlager to work fully manual.
    The best way to operate is calibrating the system to get a nice .70 gray reference print from a testnegativ with a .70 gray patch.
    Then working in VNCA-mode as described in the manual.
    It's some hard work but after this is done you will enjoy the Pictochrome and spend less paper for getting the right balance or density.
    I'am talking here about a Pictochrome Plus Elite with autofocus.

The steps to get the Picto programmed is as follows:
    1. Autofocus (only Elite model)
    2. Language & Printer
    3. System
    4. Offset basic, master, vcna, box and lens
    5. Paperchannel
    6. Paperslope
    7. Integral calibration.
    See also 6.1.1 in the manual

You have the manual so reed this carefully more than once to understand how it works.
    I know it takes some time to do this but if you don't it will never be an easy job to work with it.
    Hope this helps.

clear! i have been working with it this weekend. Need to order a stouffer negative to calibrate it.
    i was confused with the time input+ density input.

Thanks!

You can make your own testnegative (Zone V) with a density of 0.72 and from there a testprint with a density as described in the manual at 0.75.
    It's better to use the film size you are working with at a minimum size of 120 or better 4*5".
    Good luck.

Following up on an old thread if there are still anybody reading this.
    I am trying to set up my Pictochrom and as the manual doesn´t really say anything about calibration I have figuered my way through the control panel menus to get the option to calibrate and have two problems:
    1. setting the exposure time is not an option when saving paper/film settings.
    doing the paper or negativ set up menu gives me the option to set filtration, density, lens, aperture and box. But I can not adjust the time
    2. the machine doesn´t expose when I hit start/exposure
    going through the calibration menu that seems to set me up for doing a test print I am asked to set every preset (filtration, density, lens, aperture and box) and then press expose. And when I press start/expose the filters seem to adjust, light goes on in the head but the shutter doesn´t open and the timer doesn´t count down.
    The shutter and light works fine when I turn on the focus light and the white light. It is just the exposure that doesnt work with calibration menu. The shutter has worked some times when I hit the button outside of calibration, but usually it doesn´t react with opening the shutter, only turning on the light for a while, before it seems to shut down.

Is there a problem with the panel (evertything else seems to work) or maybe the light and head fan overheats and shut down (seems to work in all other ways)?
    I am stumped.

And as the manual doesn´t tell me the steps of calibration, I suspect I am missing some vital part.
    Any suggestions from anyone who have calibrated this monster?