Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equipment / Business insurance?

bdkphoto

Re: Equipment / Business insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Do you know this from experience? If so, how recent and what state? I'm not doubting you, just trying to get the most accurate educated guesses. We're in the process of getting long-overdue homeowner's insurance and it would be nice to have my gear insured (for the first time ever).

My professional status is, shall we say, ambiguous. My annual income from photography has ranged from negative many-thousands to positive many-thousands. Far more negative years than positive, although inconveniently I'll have significant taxable photographic income this year (all from print sales and crowd-funding; none from commercial work).

I'm just hoping there's a way to include the gear on the regular homeowners plan. The deprecated value of the gear is probably under $8000.
    This question came up often when I ran the NYC membership for ASMP. Homeowners plans will not cover you when you are doing business. I've heard lots of real stories of folks getting caught short when trying to file a claim. OTOH a basic business policy will allow for replacement costs and provide you with basic liability coverage ( and full replacement for your office computers etc.) along with the ability to have certificates issued when needed on location. ( just try to do any shoot in a commercial bldg without one....)

That's why I keep screaming, 'I am a hobbiest!" and will not take payment for anything.

And I don't.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Everything depends on your SPECIFIC homeowner policy. Mine allowed me to add my gear even though I was technically pro. Same with my brother. Generally you're going to get far more affordable coverage with a lower deductible using Homeowner's. But ya gotta ASK first!

If you derive any taxable income, or write off any photo related expenses (equipment/lab costs/ etc.), travel expenses, or live in a jurisdiction where a permit/license is required to run a business from your home (assuming you have the license), a homeowners policy will not cover your equipment.