Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen removal

Re: Oxygen removal

There is product called Bloxygen, it's sold direct and in woodworking supply stores, I use to pad out moisture
    sensitive plastics that I use, it's basically a can of argon gas. It's kind of expensive, and I haven't yet tried
    with dark room chems, but it may be economical enough to protect developer concentrates.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentixCa View Post
    ...I never had any problem with the marbles.
    Frankly, it's never been much of a problem for me as I've always been told much of the oxygen is missing from any room I enter anyhow. Clearly, I've lost all my marbles, but I don't see why the OP can't just decant into a floating lid type container, where oxygen exposure will be minimal.

45-57-617

I thank you all for your replies. As luck would have it, I had already ordered 4 cans of CO2 ... Anyone want 4 cans of CO2?

Ken, I do use Pyrocat-HD and I do use it mixed 15 secs prior to use. But !

I want to try some other things and they aren't the same. They have a fairly limited shelf life on the stock solution. Bruce, I want to try the Eco XTOL stuff and I need to do what you do. I'm also thinking of the paper chemicals down the track.

A little puff of N2 might be the go.

Cheers,

I did ask a while ago if a vacuum was effective. I have been using those vacuum pumps and stoppers for wine bottles, but have no idea what vacuum is achieved or the reduction of oxygen.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-09814...ds=wine+vacuum

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    IMHO, you are trying way too hard. This isn't at all a difficult problem.

The answer is already being used in the wine industry. Big thick glass bottles that are effectively impermeable for centuries. Then, pull a vacuum over whatever liquid is in the bottle, with a Vacu Vin Wine Saver. Problem solved.

I've had XTOL stock last 12 months (IIRC, Kodak advised 6 months max) in a wine bottle with a Vacu Vin stopper. Still had plenty of vacuum, developer was as effective as the day I mixed it (in steam distilled water of course ;-).
    Hi Bruce, What wine bottle works best? I was thinking a Spanish Retuerta or Italian Amarone

I have a food vacuum pump and was thinking of finding a container in glass, but all food containers I found were plastic. Then I thought to try the vacuvin method you have. Thanks for letting me know it works. Unfortunately only the really cheap wines come in one litre bottles, but I shall persevere through one or two.

P.S. I have used butane from a gas refiller to remove air from a bottle. The pp of dissoved O2 is not so high - but a double vaccuming will reduce this, I guess the second one a day or two later.

Drew Wiley

Old thread. But in the meantime, small convenient containers of inert gas for sake of preserving wine flavor have become common in winemaking shops as well as on Amazon.

I just use Dustoff. It works great.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ive used Bloxygen but Butane is cheaper and easier to get. I doubt I'll use Bloxygen again after trying it.

Propane is heavier than air and if you pick up a bottle with a torch nozzle it's easy to get into the bottle.

Just a thought,

I use empty 2 liter soda bottles for stock chemistry. You could squeeze the bottle, each time you use its contents, to get the oxygen out and screw on the cap.

I find the bottles work great, no reactions with contents and the cap can be used over again and again.