Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem mounting a Fujinon W 300mm with copal 3 on deardorff 6x6 lens board

Problem mounting a Fujinon W 300mm with copal 3 on deardorff 6x6 lens board

I recently bought a Fujinon W 300mm 5,6 with a copal 3 shutter for my Deardorff v8 (8x10).
    I have two lens boards for the camera, one with a hole for copal 1 and one with a hole for copal 3.
    So I felt safe buying a lens with a copal 3 shutter – but no, the lens can't be mounted...
    It would fit if the lens board was 1-2 mm thick, but my board is 10 mm thick.
    (The hole is slightly wider than what the lens require – I guess the hole is for copal 3 and the shutter is copal 3s but I don't see that as a problem).
    I hope the images explain my problem: I think I need another ring that locks the board to the shutter, the thread on the one I have now is too narrow for the thick board.
    How do I solve this? Bying a new ring (where?, with which specs?) or a new board (with which specs?)? Or selling the lens and buy another (No!)?
    I thought that a lens board drilled for a copal 3 would fit any copal 3...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TN140997.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	114241

Name:	TN1401000.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	114242

Name:	TN1401002.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	114243

Re: Problem mounting a Fujinon W 300mm with copal 3 on deardorff 6x6 lens board

If you are not very handy with these things, you could get a Deardorff to Linhof lensboard adapter. Otherwise you will probably have to get a new mounting ring and spacer. SK Grimes can fix you up (ring prices from the SK Grimes site) (adapter board from the Deardorff site)

Copal #3 -Obsolete 60- M.75 6075R $60 6040F $45 Retaining Ring supplied with Spacer. Fits a 65mm hole.

Name:	66RC-44SC-LBA-Empty-737x1024.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	114244

Great, thank you ic-racer!
    I think I will go of a new mounting ring and spacer – I think it will look better on my dear(dorff) than a Linhof board...

Just to make sure I got it right:
    From SK Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mou...-stock-flanges)
    I order this: Copal #3 -Obsolete
    (Not this: Copal 585 #3S Fuji/Copal #3)

Name:	Fujinon_copal.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	114245

Here is my setup for the same lens and deardorff V8 board:
    Attachment 114333
    Attachment 114334
    Attachment 114335

Basically the retaining ring has 4 drill holes, and the back of the board is conical to accept the rear element's shape.
    So you attach the ring to the board with 4 screws, then screw on the shutter and front element, then screw on the rear element.
    I am fairly sure you can just dill out your ring to do this. Might not be super accurate but it will work just fine.

tnord, your lens board needs a counterbore with a 2mm thin section and a diameter large enough for the retainer ring. My Deardorff 8x10 lens boards all have this. It's needed for any size shutter that will go into it. The person who made mine was familiar with these dimensional requirements and his parts have worked well for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterbore

SK Grimes calls it a lip thickness.
    http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards/deardorff

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    tnord, your lens board needs a counterbore with a 2mm thin section and a diameter large enough for the retainer ring. My Deardorff 8x10 lens boards all have this. It's needed for any size shutter that will go into it. The person who made mine was familiar with these dimensional requirements and his parts have worked well for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterbore

SK Grimes calls it a lip thickness.
    http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards/deardorff
    +1
    forgot to mention that would have saved me a ton of time in mounting this 300mm the way i ended up doing it.

There are two types of mounting rings for shutters.
    One is the the retaining ring and spacer which seems to be what you have.
    The other is a mounting flange which gets screwed onto the front of the board with 3 or 4 small screws and the shutter then screws onto the flange.

Try finding the flange type mount.

Thank you David, koh303 and Bob for answering – and for making me more confused than I was after reading id-racers reply ;-)
    I have already ordered the set "Copal #3 -Obsolete" from SKGrimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mou...-stock-flanges).

Are you saying that this will not solve my problem, or is it an option to carve my lens board or to get a flange type mount?

I haven't got an order confirmation from SKGrimes yet so I will cancel the order a s a p if it doesn't solve my problem.
    ($ 100 + shipping to Sweden is to much to use on something I can't use...)

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    Thank you David, koh303 and Bob for answering – and for making me more confused than I was after reading id-racers reply ;-)
    I have already ordered the set "Copal #3 -Obsolete" from SKGrimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mou...-stock-flanges).

Are you saying that this will not solve my problem, or is it an option to carve my lens board or to get a flange type mount?

I haven't got an order confirmation from SKGrimes yet so I will cancel the order a s a p if it doesn't solve my problem.
    ($ 100 + shipping to Sweden is to much to use on something I can't use...)
    For 100$ you can order 10 new lens boards with the correct hole and lip to mount your lens with the current ring.
    Check ebay for a flange for copal 3 if you prefer.

You may be able to find a local cabinet maker or wood worker to cut the recess you need. It shouldn't be expensive(he said, being an optimist.)
    A front mounted flange may work IF the rear group can screw all the way into the shutter.