Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Travelling Tips for UK (Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, ...)

Re: Travelling Tips for UK (Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, ...)

Old thread! I am planning a visit to the UK this March to pickup parts for a Tomcat offroad car in Lincoln. I was last in the UK about 3 years ago visiting my brother in Cardiff. I rent a car and take my Garmin (7 inch screen) as well as AA maps to navigate. My last LF adventure was many years ago when I dragged a tripod and case with Linhof Technika V outfit from London, Basingstoke, Cirencester and Cardiff. I emigrated from the UK in 1968. Much has changed, but some things are the same, such as the little towns of Lynton/Lynmouth in north Devon. I don't think it is as restrictive as the previous poster suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa8776 View Post
    But if you are planning to go to UK you have to keep things with you like oyster card,id cards ,passports because UK is too restricted place I mean theres so much rules and regulations to follow ,and you must have to follow.
    Nonsense!

Every society/culture has rules, and if you are a visitor, it is your responsibility to understand and follow those rules.

An oyster card is the rapid transit access card that is used in London. But you only need one if you want to use the Underground or buses - you still have the option of taxis, Uber, walking, etc. And it isn't needed outside of London. If you are in New York City, you need a metro card if you want to use public transportation. And in San Francisco, you need cards for both the Metro and BART systems. Totally different locations, but the same idea.

As to a passport - my passport goes with me any time I travel, both domestically and internationally. It's not a big deal.

If you don't want to deal with the rules of society, stay home in your bed!

Jan, the Original Poster (OP), never gave any feedback about his planned trip to the UK in 2014! And whether he found the advice useful!
    He is certainly still active within Photography (See his website link under his Personal information) so I'll send him a PM about it.
    As you can image, the locals are much occupied with pro/con Europe as ever, but can still discuss the situation without violence!

Hi there! Just got the notification about a PM regarding this ooold thread here...

Well, the trip has not happened... yet ;-) Shortly after my last posts in 2014, my girlfriend (now wife) got pregnant. As some of you might know, kids change a lot in life, so we cancelled our plans to visit UK in 2014... So, sorry, but no feedback from my side yet (and probably not for the next 10 years ;-)).

Regards,
    Jan

Jan, don't wait 10 years. Travel can be great with younger children and it certainly opens them up to some wonderful experiences. Been there done that.

Wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland this June, renting a car and doing a self guided tour. Only regret is it being such a pain to take the 4x5 camera on a plane we are opting for the Nikon digital. Any hidden gems to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    Wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland this June, renting a car and doing a self guided tour. Only regret is it being such a pain to take the 4x5 camera on a plane we are opting for the Nikon digital. Any hidden gems to consider?
    There is a book called ‘Photographing Scotland ‘ by Dougie Cunningham and published by
    www.fotovue.com
    It was first published in late 2017, so is pretty up to date. It has lots of good local information, together with sections on the various areas to visit, including cities, rural areas, islands etc. I have no connection with the author, or publisher, but I live in Scotland and bought myself a copy of this book as a reference to places I would like to visit and photograph. Each area covered has a general description, details of known viewpoints and a section with ‘How to get there’, ‘Accessibility ‘ and ‘Best time of year/day’. There are more than 800 photographs of the various locations. Because Scotland is quite small, there aren’t many undiscovered places, but many of the places you may want to visit are reasonably quiet, especially if you are visiting midweek.
    Historic Scotland is a heritage organisation that runs a large number of interesting sites, as does the National Trust for Scotland. Visiting their websites might also give some inspiration.
    I hope you have a great trip.
    Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Alex, this is quite helpful.