Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Sironar N 120mm

  1. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,637

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Based on the front element's apparent curvature and flare angle of the rear cell, I'm betting on 105mm.
    No, I have the 100 Apo-N - the rear cell is a straight tube, no flare. I have the 120 N as well, in Copal 1. I'd guess that the one in the listing is a 135 N.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    955

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    No, I have the 100 Apo-N - the rear cell is a straight tube, no flare. I have the 120 N as well, in Copal 1. I'd guess that the one in the listing is a 135 N.
    that is my speculation as well.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    955

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Does Rodenstock make macro 120mm before the introduction of the colored ring? I guess the ebay auction lens must be macro sironar 120mm.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,482

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Does Rodenstock make macro 120mm before the introduction of the colored ring? I guess the ebay auction lens must be macro sironar 120mm.
    I don't remember either the 120 or the 180 without the ring. The Macro Sironar was only made in 210 and 300mm. The Apo Macro Sironar is only in 120 and 180mm and the Apo Macro Sironar Digital is only in 120mm.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    I ran across this today:


    The images clearly show engraving of 120mm on its front cell. It's definitely in a Copal 0 shutter with five aperture blades, not the Copal 1 described elsewhere in this thread, and appears to take 40.5mm filters, not 52mm. Anyone ever seen or used one like it? If so, how sharp were images made by the sample you shot with?

  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,637

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Very interesting find by Sal. Comparing the pictures in the listing against my 120 Sironar-N MC in Copal 1, both the front and rear cells of the lens that's being offered appear to be substantially smaller than the corresponding cells in my sample. Harder to tell about the glass itself from the pictures, but I do wonder whether the glass was re-designed between production runs rather than just the mount being changed.

    FWIW, my lens in Copal 1 has serial number 1060xxxx, while the lens in Copal 0 that's offered in this listing has serial number 1090xxxx. So we see at least two production runs, with distinct characteristics, for a product that was offered only briefly and sold in such small numbers that it's not often seen on the second-hand market. Can't help wondering exactly what happened, and why, and whether there are any optical differences between the two versions.

  7. #17
    8x10, 5x7, 4x5, et al Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    5,438

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    I have a 120mm f/5.6 Sironar-N in my database, shown as being in a Copal 0 shutter and using a 52mm filter.

    All of the info in the database came from published catalogs or datasheets, most of which are undated.

    - Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,482

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Does Rodenstock make macro 120mm before the introduction of the colored ring? I guess the ebay auction lens must be macro sironar 120mm.
    Yes they did.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Yes they did.
    Have you discovered new information in the 2-1/2 years since Songyun asked that question in post #13 and you answered it in post #14?

  10. #20

    Re: Sironar N 120mm

    FWIW like Oren I also have the 120 version with SN 1060xxxx and both versions Copal 1 SN 1060xxx and Copal 0 SN 1090xxx are being offered on ebay right now.

    Joerg



    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Very interesting find by Sal. Comparing the pictures in the listing against my 120 Sironar-N MC in Copal 1, both the front and rear cells of the lens that's being offered appear to be substantially smaller than the corresponding cells in my sample. Harder to tell about the glass itself from the pictures, but I do wonder whether the glass was re-designed between production runs rather than just the mount being changed.

    FWIW, my lens in Copal 1 has serial number 1060xxxx, while the lens in Copal 0 that's offered in this listing has serial number 1090xxxx. So we see at least two production runs, with distinct characteristics, for a product that was offered only briefly and sold in such small numbers that it's not often seen on the second-hand market. Can't help wondering exactly what happened, and why, and whether there are any optical differences between the two versions.

Similar Threads

  1. Rodenstock Sironar N 5.6 120mm MC -IMAGE CIRCLE
    By Mark_Se in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6-Dec-2011, 07:09
  2. Rodenstock Apo-Macro-Sironar 120mm f/5.6 vs. 180mm
    By David Solow in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-May-2011, 14:37

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •