Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sironar N 120mm

Re: Sironar N 120mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Based on the front element's apparent curvature and flare angle of the rear cell, I'm betting on 105mm.
    No, I have the 100 Apo-N - the rear cell is a straight tube, no flare. I have the 120 N as well, in Copal 1. I'd guess that the one in the listing is a 135 N.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    No, I have the 100 Apo-N - the rear cell is a straight tube, no flare. I have the 120 N as well, in Copal 1. I'd guess that the one in the listing is a 135 N.
    that is my speculation as well.

Does Rodenstock make macro 120mm before the introduction of the colored ring? I guess the ebay auction lens must be macro sironar 120mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Does Rodenstock make macro 120mm before the introduction of the colored ring? I guess the ebay auction lens must be macro sironar 120mm.
    I don't remember either the 120 or the 180 without the ring. The Macro Sironar was only made in 210 and 300mm. The Apo Macro Sironar is only in 120 and 180mm and the Apo Macro Sironar Digital is only in 120mm.

I ran across this today:

The images clearly show engraving of 120mm on its front cell. It's definitely in a Copal 0 shutter with five aperture blades, not the Copal 1 described elsewhere in this thread, and appears to take 40.5mm filters, not 52mm. Anyone ever seen or used one like it? If so, how sharp were images made by the sample you shot with?

Very interesting find by Sal. Comparing the pictures in the listing against my 120 Sironar-N MC in Copal 1, both the front and rear cells of the lens that's being offered appear to be substantially smaller than the corresponding cells in my sample. Harder to tell about the glass itself from the pictures, but I do wonder whether the glass was re-designed between production runs rather than just the mount being changed.

FWIW, my lens in Copal 1 has serial number 1060xxxx, while the lens in Copal 0 that's offered in this listing has serial number 1090xxxx. So we see at least two production runs, with distinct characteristics, for a product that was offered only briefly and sold in such small numbers that it's not often seen on the second-hand market. Can't help wondering exactly what happened, and why, and whether there are any optical differences between the two versions.

I have a 120mm f/5.6 Sironar-N in my database, shown as being in a Copal 0 shutter and using a 52mm filter.

All of the info in the database came from published catalogs or datasheets, most of which are undated.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Yes they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Yes they did.
    Have you discovered new information in the 2-1/2 years since Songyun asked that question in post #13 and you answered it in post #14?

FWIW like Oren I also have the 120 version with SN 1060xxxx and both versions Copal 1 SN 1060xxx and Copal 0 SN 1090xxx are being offered on ebay right now.

Joerg

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Very interesting find by Sal. Comparing the pictures in the listing against my 120 Sironar-N MC in Copal 1, both the front and rear cells of the lens that's being offered appear to be substantially smaller than the corresponding cells in my sample. Harder to tell about the glass itself from the pictures, but I do wonder whether the glass was re-designed between production runs rather than just the mount being changed.

FWIW, my lens in Copal 1 has serial number 1060xxxx, while the lens in Copal 0 that's offered in this listing has serial number 1090xxxx. So we see at least two production runs, with distinct characteristics, for a product that was offered only briefly and sold in such small numbers that it's not often seen on the second-hand market. Can't help wondering exactly what happened, and why, and whether there are any optical differences between the two versions.