Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Keep in mind DPL was built and still uses the original Howtek API developed for the scanners. The core dll used to communicate with the scanners htsai10.dll (Howtek SCSI Adapter Interface) relies on one of the first Adaptec's ASPI 32 bits implementations. So having those drivers running is not optional.

Armando,

Could you post a short how-to on moving the carriage to allow lubrication of the lead screw and cleaning of the rail of the 7500? I have tried to follow the directions in my manual for moving the carriage through the control panel but something just does not make sense to me.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 18-Jun-2014 at 14:08.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Sandy,
    Make sure the cover is closed to perform the operations. Otherwise you can use a magnet to trick the door sensor. Then be extra careful moving he carriage with the door open.
    Get the scanner in the OFFLINE mode and then search for the TEST options. Move the arrows until the CARRIAGE shows. If I remember correctly you show have a 100 STEPS option available. You should be able to move it left and right with the arrows.

I can go downstairs tomorrow and double check what Im posting. You can also reach me on my cell anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Sandy,
    Make sure the cover is closed to perform the operations. Otherwise you can use a magnet to trick the door sensor. Then be extra careful moving he carriage with the door open.
    Get the scanner in the OFFLINE mode and then search for the TEST options. Move the arrows until the CARRIAGE shows. If I remember correctly you show have a 100 STEPS option available. You should be able to move it left and right with the arrows.

I can go downstairs tomorrow and double check what Im posting. You can also reach me on my cell anytime.

Armando,

Thanks for the information. I see the 100 STEPs option in the control panel. But as I am understanding, each time I move the CARRIAGE to a new position I have to turn off the scanner in order to open the door? Or use a magnetic to trick the door sensor and keep the door open, which would allow one to see the movement of the CARRIAGE?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Hi Sandy,
    I checked downstairs. The option in the menu goes as manual steps instead of 100 steps. I took several images. I will try to post them a few a a time.

You should boot the scanner and wait until is ready. Then open the cover, remove any drum if installed.
    Now tape the magnet to the sensor. If it does not work then try the other side of the magnet. The message should change from door open to no drum once he magnet is in the right place.

Sensor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403230923.638923.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	117072

Magnet

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403230998.935058.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	117073

Then,
    OFFLINE/
    TEST/
    CARRIAGE/
    CARRIAGE STEP/
    CARRIAGE MANUAL STEP/

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403231758.894483.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	117075

Now use the left and right arrows to move the carriage. Be aware that if the magnet falls out of the sensor the scanner will bring the carriage back to the home position after a few seconds so BE SAFE!!!

Hi Armando,

Thanks very much for the directions. I will give this a try as soon as I get the lubricating and cleaning supplies, and magnet.

Sandy

Armando,

I sure envy your ability to test and repair these old scanners. I finally got all the supplies on hand for cleaning and lubricating the shaft and lead screw and set myself to the task, anticipating it would take at most 10-15 minutes. An hour later I am still trying to locate the sensor!! I finally resorted to poking around all over the bottom of the scanner with a magnet to see if it would stick to anything, to no avail. If you get a chance would you please post another close-up of that damn sensor.

Happy 4th of July. I had a great day, took a long bike ride just before dusk and was confronted with the beauty and ugly of this great land. Was cursed at by someone in great hurry to get somewhere, but then saw a beautiful white Chevrolet convertible, 1963, and gloriously restored, decked out with a very large flag. What a country!!

Sandy

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Armando,

I sure envy your ability to test and repair these old scanners. I finally got all the supplies on hand for cleaning and lubricating the shaft and lead screw and set myself to the task, anticipating it would take at most 10-15 minutes. An hour later I am still trying to locate the sensor!! I finally resorted to poking around all over the bottom of the scanner with a magnet to see if it would stick to anything, to no avail. If you get a chance would you please post another close-up of that damn sensor.

Happy 4th of July. I had a great day, took a long bike ride just before dusk and was confronted with the beauty and ugly of this great land. Was cursed at by someone in great hurry to get somewhere, but then saw a beautiful white Chevrolet convertible, 1963, and gloriously restored, decked out with a very large flag. What a country!!

Sandy
    Hi Sandy,
    Sorry for the trouble. I did a crappy job with the pics. Here's the sensor circled (without magnet).

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404523827.041271.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	117799

This one shows the magnet over the sensor held with tape.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404524195.490910.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	117800

Hi Armando,

Thanks for your patience. I am getting there.

Looks like I will also need to take all the covers off and clean and blow the circuits off with air. This scanner has a "lot" of dust inside!! Probably been parked every since they quit doing Joe Camel promotions!! But it is working great and makes a really clean scan.

Sandy

Armando,

OK, I have cleaned the inside, cleaned and lubricated the rail, and applied the Extreme Fluoro to the lead screw. Without breaking anything.

Thanks again for the suggested lubricants, technique, and again, for your knowledge and patience. I am in your debt for at least two beers, if not a whole six-pack.

Sandy