Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Re: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

This information is most useful. I have the 4500 Service manual which specifically mentions lubricating the lead screws. One question I have is when you mention use teflon silicon lubricant on the rails, which component you are talking about. I did not see that in the service manual. Please help me out.Since these scanners are old and the service is next to impossible, it behooves us to keep them in good shape. Thanks once again
    Roger

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401317183.130485.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	116021

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Some images of the lubricants:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_Extreme_Fluoro_X00200101.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	116025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teflon-silicon.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	116026 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stanchion fluoro oil.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	116027

Thanks. I ordered the items from Amazon.
    Appreciate your help.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

The bottle of the teflon silicone lubricant is clear so you will notice the teflon accumulated the bottom. Shake it a little before applying. I use a piece of old flannel to clean the rails but any soft fabric should do the job.

Thanks once again. This would be my project for the weekend.

Unfortunately I am missing Section 7 of Howtek 4500 Service Manual. Can somebody upload it please!

Still Developing

I've a 4500 and use DPL Pro and Silverfast. I've done a lot of testing and have seen no advantage of using the pro software. I only ever use Wide Gamut Negative and Generic Chrome.

For transparencies though I prefer to use Silverfast. It has a very nice balance of shadows and highlights and seems to get better focus more often.

However for negatives, DPL is the biz using the Wide Gamut Negative and then inverting by hand in photoshop.

I also operate a Heidelberg Primescan, Screen Cezanne Elite Pro and two Fuji Lanovias
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    I've a 4500 and use DPL Pro and Silverfast. I've done a lot of testing and have seen no advantage of using the pro software. I only ever use Wide Gamut Negative and Generic Chrome.

For transparencies though I prefer to use Silverfast. It has a very nice balance of shadows and highlights and seems to get better focus more often.

However for negatives, DPL is the biz using the Wide Gamut Negative and then inverting by hand in photoshop.

I also operate a Heidelberg Primescan, Screen Cezanne Elite Pro and two Fuji Lanovias
    Tim,

Thanks for your comments on DPL Pro versus Silverfast. I have a Howtek 7500 that is working well with a MAC running OS 10.4 and Silverfast 6.6 and have been wondering if there would be any significant advantage switching to PC and DPL Pro. I scan primarily negatives, color and B&W, and am curious as to the advantage you see in DPL over Silverfast for negatives with Wide Gamut Negative and then inverting in Photoshop?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by nagairaj View Post
    Hello I use Howtek 4500 with Silverfast 6.6, so far has been working well. I do not know the advantage of DPL except it costs $ 900.00 from Aztek. I also has Aurora original disks. Have not used the. Any body cooment on Aurora software.
    In my opinion Silverfast 6.6 is a much better choice for Howtek scanners than Aurora. Even if you have a full set of disks for Aurora you still need a dongle to make it work, and in the Macintosh world Aurora works only with the old classic (pre OSX) system.

The only significant problem I have found with Silverfast and the MAC is that Version 6.6 only works with OS 10.3 and 10.4, and MAC OSX is not very SCSI compliant so the choice of card is very important. I was using the D4000 with OS 10.4 with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card but this combination would not see the Howtek 7500, and I also had problems with an Adaptec 2930 card. The most reliable SCSI card I have found for MAC OS X with the 7500 is the Acard AEC-6712WM/TUM.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 6-Jun-2014 at 19:39.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon