Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

There is not such a thing as a tailstock spindle mounted in a brass ball bearing. And the bearing mounted in my Premier was a regular radial, (oem numbered but is a ka030cp0). No ceramic balls, just plain steel. Actually the tailstock spindle plus bearing is the same as the d4000. You can remove it and replace it with the other one.
    Im now using cross contact bearing with ceramic balls but this is not as important as the wearing in the bearings. Im sure many premiers around are out of specs due to the issue. With balls 0.25 mils smaller the image captured already shows the signs.

Also, not only the dmax is affected by "cross-contamination" between FORI and FOTI. It is also reduced by the poor light sealing inside the optical box. I did try to improve it as much as I could but still is not as as good as the original design, ie d4000.

For the record, I did not hear any of this from Aztek. I gather all the info opening my own scanners.

Re: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

I don't know, I can't agree. When I scan reflective, one lamp turns on, when I scan film (99% of the time) the other light comes one. It's pointed directly at the fiber optic cable. There is no loss or cross contamination (which I suppose could occur if you left the cover off, or both lights turned on), or any other issue I am aware of. The dark chamber is well sealed all around. There is no way light is getting in there. Log Tranny gets in there all the way and sucks the marrow out of a very dark piece of film...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

The contamination does not occurs in the box with the lamps. It happens because the light beam exiting the FOTI is too wide (no collimator lens at the exit of the fiber optic) covering even the 4 illuminators from the FORI. That light travels back via the FORI fiber optic to the lamp, bounces in the reflector, and returns to the 4 illuminators. A small but unwanted light source. You could see the blinking if you open the lamps compartment during a scan.

Also, it could (but not tested yet) having an impact in the black point during calibration. It depends on the algorithm used in the firmware.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Just a couple of clips showing the impact on the images of wearing in tailstock bearing. 8000 dpi, 3 um.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BearingA.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	115801 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BearingB.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	115802

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Just a couple of clips showing the impact on the images of wearing in tailstock bearing. 8000 dpi, 3 um.
    There is definitely a big difference in image quality. What is the sequence of the images? Is one before repairing/replacing the tailstock, the other after?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

One is with the bearing installed in the scanner when I got it. I pulled the bearing out and the wearing was obvious. The balls size went down to 0.12475" (it should be close to 0.125"). I replaced it with a used one but in good shape from an old d4000 and the bad edges disappeared.

Hello I use Howtek 4500 with Silverfast 6.6, so far has been working well. I do not know the advantage of DPL except it costs $ 900.00 from Aztek. I also has Aurora original disks. Have not used the. Any body cooment on Aurora software.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nagairaj View Post
    Hello I use Howtek 4500 with Silverfast 6.6, so far has been working well. I do not know the advantage of DPL except it costs $ 900.00 from Aztek. I also has Aurora original disks. Have not used the. Any body cooment on Aurora software.
    If you are happy with Silverfast then there is no need for other software. Otherwise the standard version of DPL is half the price (400 or 500).

What is the story on lubricating the lead screw on drum scanners? Some people have told me this should not be done, but it is recommended in the maintenance manual of the Scanmaster 7500.

And what kind of lubricating gel can be used?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Sandy,
    Some people mentioned in posts that the D4000 did not require grease in the lead screw while the rest of the scanners do. I would lubricate the lead screw, not matter which model, with a plastic/rubber safe grease. Aztek sells their recommended grease in their online store. I use (not a recommendation) a grease called Extreme Fluoro for the lead screw and the tailstock bearing, available in some bikes stores and online.

Look first under the cover because sometimes the old grease dries and form almost a chunk of "Cheddar" that needs to be removed.

For the rails check the nearest Lowes or online for "teflon silicone lubricant". It is also safe on rubber. Another is pure fluoro oil, also from Finish Line. But the most important part is to do it several times, cleaning the dirt from the rails, applying the lubricant, move the carriage to the right (using Test menu), repeat the operation on the left side, 3 or 4 times.

Believe or not many owners are not aware how important is to keep the scanner lead screw, rails and bearings clean an lubricated. It not only shorten the life of the mechanical components because of rapid wearing. It also put a lot of stress in the electronic circuits driving the parts.