Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Re: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

I like 1/2" for taping the top edge of the film to the drum and 1" to tape the perimeter of the overlay. And depending on how it all goes down, you often have to put an extra layer of tape over parts of the overlay, mostly due to Kami fluid seeping out as you pull the mylar tight, even after wiping it down before the tape. You want to check to make sure that there are no little tunnels where fluid can escape. What you really don't want to have happen is for the whole thing to come undone while the drum is spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    I like 1/2" for taping the top edge of the film to the drum and 1" to tape the perimeter of the overlay. And depending on how it all goes down, you often have to put an extra layer of tape over parts of the overlay, mostly due to Kami fluid seeping out as you pull the mylar tight, even after wiping it down before the tape. You want to check to make sure that there are no little tunnels where fluid can escape. What you really don't want to have happen is for the whole thing to come undone while the drum is spinning.
    Thanks mate, regards dean

Quote Originally Posted by brbo View Post
    Can fellow DPL users share experience on max. horizontal dimension (in direction of drum rotation) of scans with DPL?

Whenever I scan anything that is longer than 10.992px (so that would be like 2.73" at 4000dpi, 5.46" at 2000dpi, etc.) I get a dpl32 error with "Buffer Transfer - Length Too Big" message. This seems to be a DPL limitation and not a scanner hardware limitation. I successfully completed a narrow band of 8" in horizontal direction at 4000dpi in Silverfast. I know that scanning the whole 8x10" area would present another problem (file too big), but still, this limit is not present in Silverfast...

I'm using Howtek 4500 with DPL 8.1 on Windows XP (32bit). I've send a question about this to Evan at Aztek, but would like to hear what your experience is on that matter while waiting for his thoughts.
    Well, after a few days of swapping various SCSI cards, drivers, etc. I located the problem. It was the wnaspi32.dll file in C:\Windows\system32\ that was a problem. I needed to stop and delete Windows Service named "ScsiAccess" (otherwise I couldn't delete the file) then delete the wnaspi32.dll and then reinstall the correct version of the file. I used the file from C:\Program Files\Aztek\Digital PhotoLab 7.8\Devices\SCSI_support\.

The wrong wnaspi32.dll file was probably installed by a CD burner software (the author of the file was "NexiTech, Inc").

Now I can scan up to 5.2" in length at 4000dpi in DPL. Still interesting Silverfast can scan 8.1" in length.

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Howtek 6500 Scanmaster. I acquired the scanner with no software dongle, computer, or SCSI cable. I got an old PC and got that to communicate with the scanner using a demo version of Silverfast for Win XP. The scanner worked fine for a few days of tests. Now the scanner fails at the lamp calibration stage. I cannot get the lamps to turn on using the "test" menu functions. I've tried replacing the bulbs and that does not remedy the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please let me know. I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!

You may be at a point where you need to take the cover off the scanner and remove all the internal boards and clean all the contacts with DeOxit, then re-insert each board multiple times to make sure each one has good contact everywhere, then try scanning again. Do the lamps come on at all during the period of time before calibration fail? There may be bad electrical contacts there too, and don't rule out bad bulbs even when new. I've seen a lot of those over the years. Those are 8v 20w bulbs so you probably don't have a independent power supply suitable laying around. Then call Evan at Aztek.

hello i have an Howtek 4500 with Silverfast and read all the tread from the beginning
    the scanner is working well but the pictures seems to be more accurate than my old scans.
    could someone have the maintenance manual for this scanners,i think it will be fine to do a lot of maintenance
    where is the rest button of the boards, because sometimes I have an error .
    all the advices are welcome
    it is fred from France
    take care all of you
    @+fred

Quote Originally Posted by chanto View Post
    hello i have an Howtek 4500 with Silverfast and read all the tread from the beginning
    the scanner is working well but the pictures seems to be more accurate than my old scans.
    could someone have the maintenance manual for this scanners,i think it will be fine to do a lot of maintenance
    where is the rest button of the boards, because sometimes I have an error .
    all the advices are welcome
    it is fred from France
    take care all of you
    @+fred
    Hello Roger from NY. Could you be little more specific. What do you mean exactly"more accurate" than old scans. You mean out of focus, color balance etc.
    Thanks

the scan are not so sharp than the first I have made

Are you using auto focus? Maybe it's not properly calibrated. Try using manual focus with the built-in scope on the 4500. You will be able to see it pop into focus. And, of course, I'm assuming the lens is clean and there are no obstructions in the fiber optic path. Are you sure you drum is concentric. Try another part of the drum and see if that changes things. Lots and lots of things to consider. These are just a few.