Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 135?

Question What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 135?

Which of these three options is the "best" way to home scan your work to maintain an online portfolio and distribute to clients (in your opinion), assuming you shoot all three formats?

1. Use an Epson V850 to scan film.

2. Use a DSLR and macro lens to scan film.

3. Scan silver gelatin or RA-4 prints with a photo document scanner.

Why don't you recommend the other two options? What do you do to scan your work for your online portfolio?

My answers:

I've been DSLR scanning my negatives until now. I rarely look forward to doing it . I don't use negative carriers because a tripod and ANR glass work well enough. I don't bother stitching. The lack of automation is miserable, but I work around this by only scanning the few frames I want to use.

I don't use an Epson V850 because I'd rather wait until it falls into the $300 - $500 range (if ever). I can't see myself buying a scanner that doesn't do 135, 120, and 4x5 with some form of automation. I'm reluctant to own an expensive, older scanner with legacy software.

Scanning prints - although ideal in theory - is impractical (to me) because it takes hours to make a competent print, and it's challenging to match the two. However, I'm experimenting with this approach again.

Note: I didn't see a recent thread dedicated to this. Let me know if there was one.

Re: What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 1

I don't understand the point of your questions. You've written off dedicated scanners and scanning prints. So you're left with what you do now and use a DSLR.

Re: What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 1

That's easy. Research the 1000 posts on this and choose #1. Seriously, it is all based on the final product. DSLR scanning isn't that much cheaper than #1 in the end.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Which of these three options is the "best" way to home scan your work to maintain an online portfolio and distribute to clients (in your opinion), assuming you shoot all three formats?

Why don't you recommend the other two options? What do you do to scan your work for your online portfolio?

My answers:

I've been DSLR scanning my negatives until now. I rarely look forward to doing it . I don't use negative carriers because a tripod and ANR glass work well enough. I don't bother stitching. The lack of automation is miserable, but I work around this by only scanning the few frames I want to use.

I don't use an Epson V850 because I'd rather wait until it falls into the $300 - $500 range (if ever). I can't see myself buying a scanner that doesn't do 135, 120, and 4x5 with some form of automation. I'm reluctant to own an expensive, older scanner with legacy software.

Scanning prints - although ideal in theory - is impractical (to me) because it takes hours to make a competent print, and it's challenging to match the two. However, I'm experimenting with this approach again.

Note: I didn't see a recent thread dedicated to this. Let me know if there was one.
    I use a "vintage" (? 15+ year old ) epson 4870 ( down to 110 and 8mm movie stills and up to bigger than 11x14 glass, metal plates, paper images &c ) and I use an iPhone sometimes as well. Stuff has been printed to 6x8 foot panels or down to 3x4inch prints. I think a lot of people spend too much time sweating the small stuff instead of making photographs.

Any scanner that could handle your max format would suffice for online publishing. "Distribute to clients" is a wide open topic. If you're talking professional work, then you obviously need a professional solution. If you're talking making prints to sell, you'll need a higher end film scanner or a solid DSLR scanning setup. Regarding the latter, many folks think you can simply toss a digicam on a tripod, point it at film sitting on an iPad and get good results. This setup will certainly provide a "result", but to reach more professional level camera scanning requires some fairly sophisticated hardware and a somewhat steep learning curve.

Before getting to scanning methods, what's your reason for scanning? Are the scans for social media, printmaking, book.....?

"I don't use negative carriers because a tripod and ANR glass work well enough"

If you're doing one-shot 'scans', what's the problem? It should be fast and easy, although optimal results would likely be achieved with a better setup than a tripod....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post

My answers:

You left an option off your list:

Copy-photographing a finished print. Copying artwork for reproduction has been done this way for years with superb results.

Scanning film (with or without DSLR) is so you can post-process it with software. That's really part of a larger workflow with a final manipulated digital file as your outcome.

Scanning large prints on a scanner is often impractical (although I paid to have a large number of a 11x14 prints scanned some years ago with very good results.

With a DSLR and a good copy set-up, you can make excellent copies of your finished fine prints, tweak them a bit in Photoshop or whatever and have a great finished product. This, of course, is assuming you have prints to copy.

If you have only negatives and your goal is to end up with a digital file, then that's another can of worms. Scan or copy the neg with your DSLR.

I'd choose the latter, after rigging up a good duplication set-up.

Best,

Doremus

I've done all of the above plus minilab scanners. For speed, a minilab scanner is best. For 120 - 4x5, I have an old kodak hr-5000 universal (these can do 35mm too). For 35mm I prefer to use either a pakon f135 plus or noritsu ls600. Those scanner scan quickly and get rid of dust on the fly, saving a ton of time. Scan an entire 36 frame roll in like 90 secs. But prices have gone through the roof on these. Still worth it if you do a lot of scanning though.

Next option if you already have a digital camera is to scan with that, a macro lens, and a copy stand/tripod. You'll just have to be careful with dust/take care of it in post. You can come up with a rig/process that will allow you to scan pretty quick. I think the bottleneck will be in post. Also, what I like to do is complete close off the area between the film and lens. I use a long bellows/compendium to do this. But a towel or dark cloth will probably work just as good. I do this to remove possible reflection/stray light etc...

Finally if you have prints or polaroids, I like the epson fastfoto. I use this to scan polaroids because it's also quick. I stack them side ways and the fastfoto does the rest.

As for a flat bed scanners. I think I'd only use this for 8x10s. I have an epson 4990 and used it to scan smaller format prior. Didn't take me long to ditch it in favor of other faster methods.

If I can only choose one, I'd probably go the with the camera, macro, copy stand method as it's more versatile and easier to replace components.

I use an Epson V750 for 120, 4x5 and 5x7 scanning and it works well for me.