Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 camera for portraits

5x7 camera for portraits

Help me choose a camera. I’d like to take 5x7 B&W portraits at home with a soft-focus Verito lens, head & shoulders to ½. Working space is 14’10” x 13’. I already have a set of tungsten spot and flood lights, largely Moles and Photogenic, looking for pretty much a 1940s look on Ilford FP4, and would be moving up from an RB67 to LF. No prior experience on LF, but I’ve got 20 years to figure things out and realize creamy tonal goodness. Budget for the camera, everything not including lens, cannot exceed $1,000, preferably $600-$700. What are your thoughts about these options for what would be a specialized platform for a Verito 14 ½ or 16 ½ that need never venture outside for landscapes. Movements would be needed for the usual portrait corrective purposes, but it’s not necessary to blow the bank on Scheimpflug. Would prefer a solid, smooth-functioning dependable camera over an exotic tempermental project. I can get the developing done elsewhere, and a 4x5 back seems sensible as a backup to 5x7 film.
    Potential sample choices:
    1) 5x7 flatbed, maybe a gray Ansco Universal
    2) 8x10 Century with a 5x7 back
    3) 5x7 monorail, like a Norma or Toyo 57G
    4) 8x10 monorail with 5x7 back

Re: 5x7 camera for portraits

One vote for an 8x10 Century Studio camera or similar and stand.
    Since you soon might want to shoot 8x10.....
    You'll want a camera to grow into, not out of.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I fully agree. Great choice for studio work.

You just missed my Ansco studio camera and stand, sold here. It was held last week by deposit and is being picked up this weekend.

You should list your location when hunting big game.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Since you soon might want to shoot 8x10.....
    You'll want a camera to grow into, not out of.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    +1

I never would have guessed it because of the size, but for portraits or anything in a studio-type setting a Century Studio camera on a Semi-Centennial stand (or Agfa/Ansco equivalent, I'm sure) is easier to use than even my 4x5 on a tripod. The one thing I sometimes miss are front standard movements, but only rarely.

Jonathan

However, Century studios don't have a ton of movements, just rear swing and tilt. Also, Veritos are small lenses compared to other portrait types. You don't need a 9" lensboard for one. Since your budget is cheap, I'd look for a Burk and James. They have lots of movements and are robust and cheap.

The B&J Rembrandt dual monorail (bi-rail?) Was a 5x7 designed especially for portraiture and are often found at low cost. Check 'em out.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    However, Century studios don't have a ton of movements, just rear swing and tilt. Also, Veritos are small lenses compared to other portrait types. You don't need a 9" lensboard for one. Since your budget is cheap, I'd look for a Burk and James. They have lots of movements and are robust and cheap.
    Dedicated portrait cameras really don't need movements!

Exactly my experience. I learned by using one. It is so easy to move the camera and stand to do a portrait, far easier than any other studio setup I have and have 4. It's ready to go. Elevation is fast. All controls are at the rear. Stand tilt, camera focus, FP tilt and swing are quickly dialed in. Huge movements are not used in portraits, so no need for monorail or flatbed.

In my opinion nothing compares in speed and ease of use. It is a brilliant design proven through at least 40 years of production in all variations and used in every portrait studio in USA for many decades. It is said every small town had one. Of course cities, many more.

I only sold mine so I could maneuver my huge and clumsy Deardorff Studio 11x14, which is not a portrait camera, but a studio product camera.

Good luck, a lens is a great way to start. Look for holders soon. Cameras are everywhere, the Semi-Centennial stands are not. and they don't ship, too big.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post

Compared with the Victorian furniture-type stands, the bi-post Century/Kodaks are a joy to move. All you need to do is remove the cast iron base (4 bolts) and disconnect the table strut. I have moved them in a tiny FIAT Panda, along with the matching camera, sliding backs and film holders. No passengers, though!

5x7 sliding backs for the Century are the most commonly available.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    Um....ok. So how do you get both eyes in focus with an F3.6 16" petzval with the model not looking straight at the camera? Answer: movements.
    Last edited by goamules; 11-Apr-2014 at 14:41.