Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short variable soft focus lens

Short variable soft focus lens

Looking for suggestions for a short focal length (150mm or less) variable focus lens..Thanks, Evan

Re: Short variable soft focus lens

There are a few "branded" soft lens that were made in 8" or less - but not many. They are, I think, even more difficult to find than the larger sizes.

All landscape meniscus lenses can be used/modified to show soft focus, when at the full aperture, or when the factory aperture is removed, This includes all the lenses mounted on the budget versions of 4x5"/9x12cm cameras made in the 1890 - 1910 period. Best know are the UK/French landscape meniscus lens which were made in this size without shutters and often with removeable apertures. Late ones, like the T,T & H RVP (with larger aperture than is normal), recognised the pictorial possibilities. Softness control is by aperture control. Price range for these is enormous!

Thanks much, I have a ton of meniscii but was looking for something with an adjusment like a Verito or a Cooke with variable adjustment, was there such a thing?

There was a 120mm Imagon.

Thanks, I have a 150. Have a ton of SF lenses. I am looking for a shorter focal length with an adjustable "fuzzulator"

I am confused, the verito doesn't have an adjustable fuzzulator, does it?

Jason, the catalog claims that fuzziness is controlled by the diaphragm. Stop down, sharpen. Open up, soften.

Right, I thought he was suggesting something other than aperture control. If so, the Graf Variable came in 5.5 to 6.5" The other lenses I know that have adjustable softness (Cooke, Universal Heliar, Velostigmat) didn't come this short. They aren't really soft, but the Dallmeyer portraits came quite short (notably the 2B and 2C) and they have the adjustable diffusion on back. It doesn't do very much.

Not too many soft focus lenses out there that are shorter than 150mm.

I have a 150 and 190mm Hermagis Eidoscope, the 120mm Imagon Rodenstock, the 6 1/8" Verito and the Pentax 67 120mm SF ... the latter pretty much behaves like a Verito lens, very soft at f/3.5 ... I'm using these on a MF camera with digital back. Also use the Mamiya 145mm SF for Mamiya 645 style cameras ... the latter lens is quite complex to use, not one of my favorites.

YMMV.

The small Graf variable was the only one I could think of - not that I have ever actually seen it!

They aren't really soft, but the Dallmeyer portraits came quite short (notably the 2B and 2C) and they have the adjustable diffusion on back
    The 2C and 3C were never made with adjustable soft focus. Wouldn't have been possible, I think, as they kept the original layout of the Voigtländer Petzval's rear lens pair. I always thought that it was low sales, shallow DOF and restless subjects that were the reason - but it could have have been technical optical problems in a redesign. I know that some C's have found their way into the "Soft lens sales register" and perhaps they should be there due to "restless subjects and restricted DOF"!