Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generation V...a Group Show at the Ansel Adams Gallery

Generation V...a Group Show at the Ansel Adams Gallery

Sorry that I do not have a press release to share, but I will be in a group show at the Ansel Adams Gallery from April 6 to May 31st. The opening will be held on May 10th. The other participants scheduled to be in the show:
    Bob Kolbrener
    John Sexton
    Jeff Conley
    Mark Citret
    Kerik Kouklis
    Alan Ross
    Ray McSavaney

I should have a couple 8x10 carbon prints up. Fresh snow in Yosemite Valley this morning as shown in the webcams. I have given a couple workshops in the Vally during April -- the weather can be interesting. During the 5-day workshops we have had snow, rain, and sunny warm weather -- all during the same workshop!

I'll be camping in the Valley April 13th, 14th, 15th and possible the 16th (with my three boys), then back again for the weekend of the Opening Reception on May 10th (without the boys). Hope to see some LF'ers there!

http://www.anseladams.com/gallery-exhibits-in-yosemite/
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Generation V...a Group Show at the Ansel Adams Gallery

I'll be there! Congratulations!!

Congratulations Vaughn!
    Generation V ??

I believe that is for five generations since the founding of Best Studios/Ansel Adams Gallery in 1901. A generation is somewhere between 20 and 30 years, depending on the place and culture...there is no official span of time between generations.

They (AA Gallery) is putting on a series of shows, with this one kicking it off. See the link in the OP to see the rest of the upcoming shows.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I stand corrected...the "V" stands Zone V, and all that entails in the history of Yosemite and photography:

In the later years of his life, Ansel Adams was frequently spotted driving in and around Yosemite, clearly identifiable by the vanity plates adorning his car. These plates read "Zone V," and were an homage to the math and science behind the art of photography. This mathematical Zone System, which Ansel developed along with Fred Archer in the mid-1930's, consisted of 11 zones of light, with zone V - or middle grey - representing the center of the scale. It became the industry standard for photographers attempting to convert the quality of the light they were physically seeing into the most functional (and ultimately, powerful) negative possible. Simply put, the Zone System made life more organized for anyone working in the photographic medium, and it helped dictate Ansel's proficiency in capturing the images of Yosemite that have resonated with generations of photographers, visitors, and of course, politicians.

As part of our continuing celebration of The Yosemite Grant's 150 anniversary, The Ansel Adams Gallery will put forth its own tribute to the Zone System by hosting an exhibition dedicated to contemporary photographers working in the exposure, developing and/or printing process that Ansel espoused many years ago, and who continue the tradition of using the Zone System to chronicle the beauty of Yosemite. Titled "Generation V," this exhibition will include work by John Sexton, Alan Ross, Jeff Conley, Vaughn Hutchins, Kerik Kouklis, Mark Citret, Bob Kolbrener and Ray McSavaney, and will open on April 6th and close on May 31st, 2014 with a reception for artist's held on May 10th from 3-5 PM.

Drew Wiley

I think it should stand for five phases of glaciation which carved out Yosemite Valley in the first place, though there will no doubt be debate about exactly how to
    classify that into five discrete pigeonholes. It would be nice to remember the Valley for something more profound than what kind of Roman numerals you happen to
    ink onto the top of your of spotmeter.

Geezus, Drew. I think it entirely appropriate that a facility devoted to photography might exhibit and make note of practitioners of a system of photography made (in)famous by its namesake. There are plenty of nature trails, kiosks, and an entire visitor center, etc. allocated to Yosemite's ever-present, inescapable geology. For many Valley visitors, knowledgeable or neophyte, AA is at least as profound as John Muir. By your logic, I assume you also object to pix of rock climbers at YMS using the geology for their own purpose, Grade V or otherwise.

Congrats Vaughn (and thanks for the clarification).

I'll be there for the opening as well. Looking forward to it!
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

I guess I should have claimed it was for; Generation Vaughn

Excellent, Kerik!

Sorry to be on the wrong coast to see it. Congratulations