Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubbell Trading Post NHS Artist-in-Residence.

Re: Hubbell Trading Post NHS Artist-in-Residence.

Spent a lot of time at Canyon de Chelly over the years. When I was a child, in college, we used to go there for Spring Break. Probably first around 1972. I did the tourist truck tours several times but you can't really work from there. You pretty much have to get a 4WD and a guide and get in the canyon.

There are some terrific places along the rim at White House overlook and Spider Rock, plus over on the Del Muerto side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	113323 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	113324

Blackfork6 Channel on Youtube Canyond de Chelly video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0IMG_jFK0

Packing today and running last errands. Rolling out tomorrow. I have a couple of appointments going each way and several appointments once I get to the Hubbell Trading Post.

Day One: A LOT of driving, from Tyler to Santa Rosa, New Mexico where I am in a Best Western and glad to be there. 630+ miles. Glad to be out past the Cholla and Raven line. Seen fields of one and pairs of the other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3433.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	113683 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3439.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	113684

Sitting in the Flying Star on Central Avenue in Alb with most of the mileage behind me. Have to stay overnight to see a few items from Chaco that I want to see in person and then think about. Not much photographic going on.

Engine check light on in the truck. probably something simple, like fuel filter from sucking all that bad gas on the way over, but don't want to go on without a check-up. Got a garage lined up for in the morning. 99 problems, but so far, photography ain't one.

Enjoying the hipster crowd at the Flying star. Gotta stay somewhere close- garage is walking distance to UNM and the Chaco Collection. Hope it's not too Breaking Bad around here.

Quite a treat to spend and hour talking shop with Kirk Gittings at the Flying Star yesterday. Seems we know lot of the same folks.

Up for day three of the oddessey. Taking 4Runner over to shop and walking back for breakfast, probably at the Flying Star again.

Yes that was a treat. Hope all goes well with the car and the rest of your trip. I envy you! I'm slaving away here.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ah, the damn 4 runner check light. That's all that has gone wrong with my 1999 4 runner in 15 years and 300,000 miles. Seems to intermittently act up and I never get a definitive answer from the shop about what went wrong. Otherwise an indestructible vehicle though. Hope you are trouble free hereafter.

For me vehicle problems have a way dampening my photographic vision and just diverting my focus.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Engine check light on in the truck. probably something simple, like fuel filter from sucking all that bad gas on the way over, but don't want to go on without a check-up. Got a garage lined up for in the morning. 99 problems, but so far, photography ain't one.
    So did the mechanic figure this thing out?

The older electronically controlled vehicles develop intermittent issues. Loose and corroded connections, mostly bad grounds. Many techs these days just can't seem to figure them out.

Also, deteriorated vacuum hoses will begin to allow vacuum leaks, setting fault codes.

And don't discount the gas cap. As they get old the seal fails, and the evaporative emissions systems will not function correctly. The system uses vacuum to draw gasoline vapors back to the engine to be burned, and a small leak at the gas cap will cause the system to set a fault code.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Should of had breakfast at the Frontier. Flying Star right across the street from Curt's. 16 years ago I worked at Curt's. Some guy from Texas came in, bought a 190mm Wide Field Ektar, a couple of lens boards and a couple of cable releases. Went off to shoot Shiprock. Knocked the WF Ektar off a rock, had to get it repaired; and had the lens boards and cable releases stolen out of his truck.

Still have the contact print you sent explaining the adventure; and the one of the stack of box turtles.

Good luck but this time, try and be a little more careful.

Brian