Thread: Need advice on purchase of Screen DT-S 1030AI

Need advice on purchase of Screen DT-S 1030AI

I have an opportunity to purchase the Screen DT-S 1030AI. Comes with mac system, software installed and on floppy as backup. Also has a spare drum.

What would be a fair price for this system?

Is there any form of support available? If something goes wrong could I get spare parts? Service?

I have used the epson v700 with better scanning holders with good results. How much more would the screen be able to add? Perhaps someone has an example photo scanned on both scanners?

Thank you.

Re: Need advice on purchase of Screen DT-S 1030AI

For service where you live, you're out of luck. I have two of these and I'm keeping the second for parts. I don't have the negacolor software installed so I can't do negs but it's been a great machine for chromes and handles velvia much better than any epson scanner I've used. Colors are usually spot on right out of the scanner. I have posted scans here and on photo.net between the epson 3200 and the Screen, and the Heidelberg tango. I have an extra mounting station listed in the classifieds if you need one. Run the machine before you buy it if possible. It should be relatively quiet at high rpm. Make sure to lock the carriage (with locking bar and screws) before moving the machine. That info is in the manual. Go for it!

Hi vinny. I have just confirmed the owner does not have locking bar and screw. I woukd have to drive 800km x2 to transport it in my car. Woukd it still be safe to transport? Any other way of securing it?

I think if you took a cardboard tube or something rigid that could easily be cut, you could place that inside between the housing and the carriage head or whatever it's called to keep it from moving side to side? Then place it in your car sideways to put less stress on it.

I am having a bit of trouble visualising how all this cones together. You would not happen to have a photo or two with and without locking bar and screw?