Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T Max 400 (2) Reciprocity Correction

Drew Wiley

Re: T Max 400 (2) Reciprocity Correction

The "new" seems to have more consistent granularity (less clumping), so appears less grainy in the print, and changed a bit subtly in terms of development timing.
    I'm not certain about the recip characteristics, but seem to have been guessing it reasonably well so far. Usually a modest correction for the kinds of times I run into.
    I shoot it at full 400 speed, which is really a luxury in this windy area. Very versatile stuff, but I too might have to supplement it with something else in 8x10 if the
    price keeps climbing.

Bruce, what is that saying of things you can count on in life, death and taxes?

Well you can add one more and that is that no matter who makes the film, it will continue to rise in price. I know folks in the marketing and PR departments who used to work at Eastman Kodak and now work for Kodak Alaris and believe me, the last thing they want to do is to either discontinue a product or raise the price. So if it means keeping the product around longer, they will raise the price and many of us who depend on the products support that.

Fuji Acros is now the most expensive black and white sheet film there is and it will still sell right up until the point that they nix it. TMY went up from $1.70 a sheet to $2.20, not terrible considering what they have been through and the fact it is a sheet film in the year 2014. This may not change the fact that you feel you can no longer afford it but it is the way it is all going. I tried to help folks out when they raised the price by telling them to stock up on it from Adorama who had it back ordered at $84 a box. I did and so did several other people who sent me PM's thanking me for the tip.

Trust me....if and when the day comes you can no longer get TMY and Ilford has not added 4x5 Delta 400 to the lineup, you are going to see expired TMY in 4x5 going for well over $4 a sheet...

Drew Wiley

ACROS is rather affordable in 120; so it must be something about the film base itself rather than the emulsion which drives up the price of the sheets. But I just ordered more sheets of 4x5, cause when you're shooting sheet film to begin with, it's pricey not matter what, and no sense compromising the end result. With respect to TMY, when my wallet gets low, I just shoot it in 4x5 instead of 8x10. But I've got a decent reserve of 8x10 in the freezer, which I bought at a better
    price. It all adds up.... the film, the print paper, the matboard. LF is a bad addiction, period.

Using the View Camera: A Creative Guide to Large Format Photography Paperback by Steve Simmons gives fairly accurate reciprocities for several color and B&W films.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51uu7kMUpAL__SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	115694

I know that practically no one posting here probably use an iPhone, but if you do, a member if the LF forum has created a reciprocity timer app, it takes all the math given by the various manufacturers, as well as special options for certain kodak films created by pro's who didn't like the kodak math.

Anyway I don't do any reciprocity calculations anymore I just plug in the data and let the app figure it out. I know this probably annoys some traditionalist but I find it helps me to focus on the image and forget the distractions of trying to do math in fast fading light conditions.

Here is the link. The regular version is sufficient for most needs and the upgrades for note taking and exporting are also handy in the more expensive pro upgrade. But even the basic version is excellent! And accurate!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reci...459691262?mt=8

The new TMY-2 is really great, although I personally have chosen only Acros100 for my long exposure work, TMY-2 is very good for that also, the toe best when it comes to good reciprocity characteristics.

After these two it seems only TMX and the ilford films are OK but not great, and of course FOMA is horrible... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I know that practically no one posting here probably use an iPhone,...
    Quite correct, StoneNYC. I have an iPhone and said app. But since I never carry a phone with me in the field, I don't practically use the app. I guess I'm the exception that proves your rule, somehow. Now, if I could only figure out how to use them dang computing machines and chat forums to tell whippersnappers what I really think about them...

Drew Wiley

What's a phone? I don't even carry a watch in the field. Go to bed at dark. Wake up at dawn. Time long exposures just by counting the seconds myself.

"I know that practically no one posting here probably use an iPhone, but if you do, a member if the LF forum has created a reciprocity timer app, it takes all the math given by the various manufacturers, as well as special options for certain kodak films created by pro's who didn't like the kodak math."

Why in the world would you think LF users don't use current technology? Drew Wiley does not represent all of us, you know!!

But thanks for the link. Looks like a useful app and I am keen to put it on my iPhone 5s.

Agree with you about Acros 100, my top choice for film also, though unfortunately Fuji never made it for 5X7 so I only have TMY-2 in this format.

BTW, I have a few 50 sheet boxes of TMY-2, frozen since purchase. When the going price hits $10 a sheet I am selling!!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    "I know that practically no one posting here probably use an iPhone, but if you do, a member if the LF forum has created a reciprocity timer app, it takes all the math given by the various manufacturers, as well as special options for certain kodak films created by pro's who didn't like the kodak math."

Why in the world would you think LF users don't use current technology? Drew Wiley does not represent all of us, you know!!

But thanks for the link. Looks like a useful app and I am keen to put it on my iPhone 5s.

Agree with you about Acros 100, my top choice for film also, though unfortunately Fuji never made it for 5X7 so I only have TMY-2 in this format.

BTW, I have a few 50 sheet boxes of TMY-2, frozen since purchase. When the going price hits $10 a sheet I am selling!!

Sandy
    Haha! I'm trying to sell/trade a 25 sheet sealed pack of TMY-2 that's fresh in date and no one will trade me so good luck!

As for my comment, I looked at the current people who had posted, as well as the OP having been out of the game for so long, and decided that so far those people probably did not use current technology in order to estimate their exposure, I did not mean the whole of the forum community, simply the home had posted so far. That's all.

I look forward to seeing what you think about the app Sandy.