Thread: Need Help on Entry level info about enlarges

Need Help on Entry level info about enlarges

Would like to set up my own dark room equipped with enlarger. I’m new to film photography and have no experience with dark room. Make things worse - I live in a very remote area. Please recommend any sources online or literature which will help to understand how to choose an enlarger how they work etc.. Greatly appreciate any help.

Re: Need Help on Entry level info about enlarges

And your location, as some brands are more available in the US and others in Europe. Also, whether for b/w or both b/w and color.

That said, here are a couple of reference sites to get you started:
    http://www.classic-enlargers.com/
    http://www3.telus.net/drkrm/equip.htm

Thank you very Much!!!
    I'm going to work with 6x6 film, would like to start with 8x10 prints and move on to larger prints later (16x20 and up). I'm working with wet plates right now (8x10 and contact printing on collodion chloride paper), and was hoping I'd be able to get an enlarger I can use with my wet plates (which could be5x7) as well if it's possible, if not than it's just 6x6 film. By the way how difficult is it to get enlarger for 8x10 film (and/or) glass plates? Once again Thank you.

Oh and sorry forgot to mention I'm on the east coast. and was looking in to buying Beseler 45V XL for B&W prints, is it a good choice?

Well, it is one of the better choices. Maybe I`d say a bit of overkill, but better to buy right for the first time, specially if as it looks to be, you like traditional "wet" photography.

So did I understand correctly? I will be able to use my 5x7 plates with 45V XL?

The 45V is a 4x5" enlarger, which you can use up to 8x10" with a dedicated head and conversion parts. Same with the cheaper 45MX (?) versions, also made by Beseler. So I think there shouldn`t be a problem for your 5x7" plates, but you`ll need to made somekind of homemade adapter to hold the plate in place.
    Anyway, the 45V is probably one of the most expensive options.
    I`m not an expert in american enlargers, but I think Elwood and Omega have some 5x7" versions. For sure they are way cheaper and equally capable. Days ago there was a thread about LED light sources, and it was mentioned a manufacturer who offer a 5x7" version (http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com/). I`m planing to buy one of these. I have a MMP one, which I think is a copy (or maybe rebranded) Omega E2 (?) version, and is a perfectly capable enlarger, very well made, fully adjustable (in fact, better than my Beseler), and extremely durable.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBull View Post
    You cannot use 5x7 plates in any 4x5 enlarger without major modifications.

You need to replace the bellows, negative stage, and light source.
    That's effectively everything but the lens stage and column.

Beseler made a 5x7 version of that enlarger, although I've never seen one.
    You might contact the company directly.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBull View Post
    I don't think so unless you have an 8x10 head and can kludge together a negative carrier. Beseler 8x10 heads are a rare and expensive accessory.
    Elwood made a 5x7 enlarger you can find for cheap. Durst makes (made?) A beautiful, professional grade 5x7 enlarger which will cost you some $$. FWIW, Photographic Systems in New Mexico used to specialize in 5x7 Dursts.
    Smaller enlargers OTOH are cheap---you can find enlargers that will handle 6x6 for give away prices on Craig's list. Czech Meoptas are nice. Of course so are Omegas---IIRC the B-66 was an awesome medium format enlarger. See what's available and pick one up and play with it. You'll want a good easel----the Saunders 4 blade is pretty slick IMHO.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have been given a Meopta Opemus (6x6) condenser enlarger, and tested it a couple months ago with different light sources. It is a very small sized enlarger (but with a well designed lamp and condenser housing), costs nothing, and works quite good. The base is small, but still good for aprox. 14" square prints (6x with a 80mm lens). With a few tricks it can be even more comfortable to work than e.g., a Beseler 23CIII.

As John says, it could be a very interesting option.