Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

It's really not a pro caliber product yet. Hopefully someday it will be.

It's a question of intention, really.
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Bob, is this your new mission statement? Targeting new users as your primary market and not professionals?
    Respectfully,
    Paul
    People who are new to analog photography have been responsible for about half the support, and the proportion has grown. The statement also includes "those who already know this" which I assume would include you, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    It's really not a pro caliber product yet. Hopefully someday it will be.
    The quality exceeds where we started, and the print and negative match, which is important to me. I get consistent results and great, super sharp negatives. In my view the quality approaches T55 and exceeds it in the equivalent exposure test. The negatives are equally good in my view. Another improvement is that it is now a standard size and weight negative, unlike T55 where the positive print and negative were different. Here is my phone shot of the positive print (wet) that accompanies the scanned negative here elsewhere on the thread. What is your opinion of the importance of having equal "speed" positive and negative for our purposes? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	matches.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	142704

I think it's fantastic and it makes me wonder why Polaroid could never accomplish equal speed for both, considering the number of years T55 was around. With them, it was one or the other. Now we can have both. Can't wait to get mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I think it's fantastic and it makes me wonder why Polaroid could never accomplish equal speed for both, considering the number of years T55 was around. With them, it was one or the other. Now we can have both. Can't wait to get mine...
    T55 and 665 used a very different reagent formula with a reducing developer and a combination of silver halide solvents, plus a blend of two pH boosters. The developing mix was hydroquinone and sodium sulfite and sodium thiosulfate. In our many monobath experiments we found this would produce a good negative but not the best precursor for good blacks especially not with the old coater type receiver they used. The formula we use was not designed for optimal negative development, but instead for deep blacks using silver lean emulsions. The agent used is both a developer and a solvent, which is a bit unusual. Using that formula allows us to aggressively develop the negative (in some cases overboard, resulting in fogging and post peel light sensitivity) which I think Polaroid would have considered problematic. But the T55 workflow still required dunking negatives after peeling, and washing them, so we took the course of using fixer (easier to obtain) and using it to immediately terminate the development. Ilford rapid fixer is good at that as it has a very low pH and curdles the remaining skin of reagent which polymerizes into a sheet on the negative that is floated off. So with a small change to the workflow we can achieve this balance. It is not without its own things that need to be considered from a manufacturing and use standpoint, including batch to batch emulsion changes, processing temperature sensitivity, larger varying sensitivity to post-peel light strike, and some others. Skill has been and still is a factor. Yesterday's results underlined to me the need to emphasize the use of the correct fixer and concentration, and the desirability of face down immersion of the negative immediately upon peeling, which is easy to do.
    Last edited by BobCrowley; 26-Nov-2015 at 16:14.

Thanks for the explanation!

As I wait patiently for my Kickstarter reward, I read this on another forum on a topic about great deals on things in 2015:

"A free box of New55 4X5 Instant film (plus negative). Normally costs $85.00 USD. For some reason, the company CEO gifted me a box."

In all seriousness, if I ever get this film, I am giving it to a friend. I know what the excuses are for selling the product as you go in order to be able to satisfy those who funded you....but wow man, this really has not gone well overall.

Not impressed.

Mine was shipped. I hope it arrives safely. Hopefully Customs won't zap the crap out of it, or decide to open up the film packs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    In all seriousness, if I ever get this film, I am giving it to a friend. I know what the excuses are for selling the product as you go in order to be able to satisfy those who funded you....but wow man, this really has not gone well overall.

Not impressed.
    Your frustration for the wait is understandable. While you may not be "impressed", think of the effort and devotion needed to make New55 a reality. IMHO this really is a "labor of love" on the part of Mr. Crowley, Hiser and staff - cheered on by the LF community. The fact that film is being sold to raise funds also serves as a test of market viability and demand for the producer.

It's amazing the project has come this far and is now delivering. While the product may not perfect, it is real - The real hope is that New55 will have an ongoing future in the midst of a shrinking (or limited) fan base of film users. If New55 receives continued support, it will hopefully survive - and improve.

I'm impressed the project has come this far, considering the difficulties, and hope it will advance much further.
    Thanks to those who are working hard to make it possible.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !