Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

It strikes me a bit that there seems to be no more discussion on the development of New55 project. I do know what they are saying, but has it lost interest, are there too many donators ticked off at the lack of results, or is everyone just sitting quiet as there is little to talk about? After all $400k went in and all I can really see is some image that produced a print closer to an OK colodion image than the original (and great) 55 and research that may be more applicable to bio-medical field than photographic film.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

I follow them on facebook and get email updates; they seem to have surpassed type55 in certain regards and are applying a type-a not-doing-it-halfway job to the development of a better film. Last word is their building's roof caved in from snow. I'm not ticked off.

I don't know where you got the 'surpass' part over 55, the examples I see are far from even getting close to 55, perhaps I have a different perception of a "match". They have an update on recent try where headlines says "negative matches print", they they show the result which does NOT match, then deeper in the report they actually state " matches ... as closely as it does", which is admitting it does not exactly match (clearly noticeable in provided example). I call it deceptive journalism when a headline mismatches associated article.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Quote Originally Posted by Witold Grabiec View Post
    It strikes me a bit that there seems to be no more discussion on the development of New55 project. I do know what they are saying, but has it lost interest, are there too many donators ticked off at the lack of results, or is everyone just sitting quiet as there is little to talk about? After all $400k went in and all I can really see is some image that produced a print closer to an OK colodion image than the original (and great) 55 and research that may be more applicable to bio-medical field than photographic film.
    Maybe because they're providing updates on their blog with relative frequency? Right now they're getting hammered by some horrible weather and have had some issues related to the building that they're in. This has caused them to fall a bit further behind than they would like.

What exactly is your expectation here? Are you a backer? If so, perhaps you might try communicating with them directly if you have questions or concerns.

I am NOT a backer (and am certainly glad I'm not), but I would be a user, if this thing ever makes it to the market at a reasonable price.

New 55 has been providing regular, detailed updates. Lots of things have been done but there are obstacles to overcome and they're going to need to raise more money. I'm glad I backed it and looking forward to being along for the rest of the ride, no matter what the outcome.

I am NOT a backer (and am certainly glad I'm not), but I would be a user, if this thing ever makes it to the market at a reasonable price.
    Perhaps this forum isn't the best place to be looking for information. I'd recommend that you follow their blog: http://new55project.blogspot.com/ They post regular updates in a lot more detail than what you would see here.

As an aside, I don't think the price is ever going to be reasonable once they go into full production. It really is a boutique product aimed at a very specific marketplace. I doubt that there will be many "casual" users.

I am impressed they have gotten as far as they have, however it looks like they are going to run out of money and will need to raise more. not sure how that is going to play out.

I am highly amused that most of the "where are they now" questions about photo related KickStarter (e.g. New55, Wanderlust etc.) are from NON-backers. It's like they like to say, "see how much money I didn't throw away?" XD

(disclaimer: I have never kicked in money for any KS)

I guess that means you will never purchase this product, so why the interest other than "stir the rumor pot a little" -