Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: "For Sale" Forum available for new members

Re: "For Sale" Forum available for new members

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    StoneNYC - another reason why I stick to humans vs. boards - people like you with one line commentary and useless to others.
    There are many helpful people and lots of useful information on this forum. There's also an "Ignore" feature. Rather than let one prolific poster drive you away, simply click on their name, click "View Profile" and finally "Add to Ignore List." Then you won't be bothered by useless commentary.

Really, were are just where are these known commercial sources?

I find member sales to be excellent in quality, honesty and price.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    Well said Nancy.

Frankly, in many ways, and to reduce anxiety, it is far better to buy from a known commercial source than from forum members. Yet many have had success.

PDM

Randy,

IMHO the relative flexibility of terms of a commercial business including return policy, diversity of products, trade in allowance, payment by CC where if the product is not as stated one can issue a dispute, all add up to less anxiety for some buyers. I am in no way suggesting that one should not consider buying from a forum member. As I have said, many have had success (with a few failures I might add) using this forum for Buy/Sell.

KEH, Adorama, B&H, Samy's, Camera West, Igor among others are good and generally reliable sources of used and new LF. I have purchased from all of them without issue.

PDM

I have purchased from them all. They are great, but to denigrate private sales eliminates 99% of my current equipment. I have found great bargains here, Craigslist and eBay. I am an experienced buyer. Not in cameras necessarily, but in any product that can be researched.

Try buying sinks, enlargers and much darkroom at the big retailers, there is more to this than lenses and boxes.

As for trade in, don't be silly, KEH, et al, won't give you a dime for film equipment.

The for sale function here is invaluable to me. Today I bought something, here, I would not find anywhere and at a more than fair price. Don't bother looking, it was totally private.

In fact that brings up another great thing that happens behind the scenes here. I have been offered many items free or for a very low price, that were not for sale in the ads here or anywhere. Those deals happen to active members. I wasn't begging either, people see a need. There are a lot of invisible people looking at everything we say here. Be very careful what you say, it will come back to you, good or bad.

ymmv imho

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    Randy,

IMHO the relative flexibility of terms of a commercial business including return policy, diversity of products, trade in allowance, payment by CC where if the product is not as stated one can issue a dispute, all add up to less anxiety for some buyers. I am in no way suggesting that one should not consider buying from a forum member. As I have said, many have had success (with a few failures I might add) using this forum for Buy/Sell.

KEH, Adorama, B&H, Samy's, Camera West, Igor among others are good and generally reliable sources of used and new LF. I have purchased from all of them without issue.

PDM

Nobody's denigrating anything. But people are on edge, and I think we've used this topic up. Feedback was given for an issue well-considered in the past, and explanations for the current policy were provided. Let's move on.

Rick "shutting this one down" Denney