Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "For Sale" Forum available for new members

Re: "For Sale" Forum available for new members

Me too.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

This is a forum for discussion and image sharing which happens to have a "For Sale" section, not the other way around.

I for one wish we could limit the frequency with which people "bump" their For Sale posts - there's already too much clutter from bumps - but it might create work for administrators.

I like really much the WTB idea, it's closer to the sharing principle that FS ads. But I think than many "sales" here are for finding funds for others photographics projects so I feel more in an exchanging community comparing to buying on *bay.
    WTB is great opportunity to get hard to find items and many times others members comment on their own use of the items or give hint on where to find or alternatives so we retreive discussion also in the For sale section.

My original suggestion was that new members see the content of the FS section but cannot post for 1 month. Or at least, that they can see the main forum title and warning.
    Second suggestion : the "Buyer-Seller Advisories" not visible for Guests.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

When I joined the forum, there were no sales at all, and I thought that had a very positive effect on the forum ethos. The forum was for sharing information, and you could deal equipment elsewhere. Sales on the LF forum are pretty civilized, in part because they're marginal to the site, and participation is restricted to people who are really involved in the forum and have had time to develop a feel for the forum culture. I wouldn't change it.

It seems that if the forum was "out there" for all to see, like on some other forums, then the google crawler would pick up on the ads. In that case, the prices asked on this forum would come up in searches and perhaps have a positive effect on the ebay prices, of which, many seem way out of line. It may be a good thing, but it may drive the moderators crazy. It may be worth a try just to see what happens--the "no posting" for a month may just do the trick to keep the spammers out.

This forum does not exist to support evilpay.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I'm in sync with the folks who have stated a desire for new members to be able to buy once they join, but not sell for the existing month. Would there be harm in that?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

"For Sale" Forum available for new members

It should be extended to a 3 month waiting period IMHO!

As Denney said, LF is about patience, and the waiting also makes you value the site and your presence on it, and get to know people and people get to know you.

I'm a prolific poster, mostly because I have the time and I'm interested in many topics, I could post 10 comments in 10 minutes and be ready to sell/buy and that makes for bad mojo.

There are many people here that might not like my opinions or my posts, but they also would hopefully trust me if I were selling or buying something, because I've spent the time to contribute and to get to know people.

Patience is a virtue...

Look, I don't have much standing to give an opinion, I've been on here since 2011, but I still haven't bought anything. On the other hand, my post count is, what, 52?

I do think new members should be told about the for sale forum. Perhaps they should get an automated message at the one month mark? Maybe reduce the access time to three weeks? Make it visible to logged in users after one week?

If we really want to help new users, a sticky post on the basics of where to get stuff would be mighty helpful. I mean, really basics, I.e. Do you know about APUG, KEH, freestyle, Reinhold's meniscus lenses, Lodima paper, The Photographer's Formulary, ilfords special order program, that fellow who makes stainless steel sinks, and so on. I've pieced this sort of thing together by reading years and years worth of forum posts, and in suppose that's part of the toll of being interested in LF. Calumet's closing made me think that such a directory would be a really good opportunity to help keep these businesses going. Photo stores used to aggregate all this kind of information, just by existing, now it's up to us to keep these guys - especially the small manufacturers going.

I do not think Google should be given access, since that would leak a bunch of pricing information. We'd get people buying and selling on here just to arbitrage the difference relative to ebay. It seems to me the purpose of the For Sale forum is to offer good deals to people in exchange for better confidence in their ability to actually complete the transaction, and to keep our hobby going. Let's not break that.

Will

Lachlan 717

Perhaps we could also petition eBay to start up a LF forum on their site?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky