Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "For Sale" Forum available for new members

"For Sale" Forum available for new members

We saw a lot of new members interested to buy gears but they don't see the "For Sale" forum for the first month of their membership.
    In fact I think that they don't ever know that this section exist, right? no message even when they logged.
    May I suggest that this forum permissions be set to permit them to see it but not post the first month.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Re: "For Sale" Forum available for new members

The FS/Wanted forum is for members (i.e. participants) to exchange items, not for drive-by shooters.

I would not deal with a newbie as either a seller or a buyer.
    If they're serious about LF, they'll still be here next month.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

2 Bit Hack

Yes, but by the end of that month the serious have already bought what they needed on ebay.
    Regards

Marty

I think that someone who register at this forum is already serious about LF as the forum is dedicated to LF.
    But it is the right of a member not to sell to someone else, we saw frequently US sale only.

My intervention is also because I think new members don't see that a "For sale section" exist so they post in elsewhere like "camera and accessories" or in the "Buyer-Seller Advisories" forum.
    In fact I think that the section "Buyer-Seller Advisories" should not visible from someone who is not a member here as most of the posts are related to members transactions.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

"For Sale" Forum available for new members

In a word, no. It's been discussed in the past, but we've always come to the same conclusion.

Most members don't see how many spammers we get who join, lurk for a few days, and then bomb us. The assumption that new members have demonstrated commitment just by joining is not supported by experience, unfortunately. We don't want members who have offered something for sale getting PMs from newbies who have not yet had the opportunity to see how things work. Misposting by new members is not a big problem, but even that would be reduced if they read the guidelines.

The guidelines describe all the forums and their associated rules in detail, and we specifically ask the new members acknowledge a willingness to follow them.

Any rules related to access to the for-sale forum will become more restrictive, not less, if they need to change at all, such as by requiring a meaningful post count. But all such filters are imperfect and have unintended consequences.

If that is perceived as arrogant or no more than a hazing ritual, so be it. It's not that, really. Sorry to those who think it is.

Rick "large format is about patience" Denney

2 Bit Hack

The current system does not even suggest that the board is there. I think that the ability to see the thread would be a service to the existing members.
    Those who are serious and looking for gear would have no idea that they could buy. These are the very people who might have a larger need for such a service.
    It also takes potential buyers from exist members trying to move gear.

Not being able to even see the board does everyone a disservice. They do not need the ability to post. That is what spammers do. Buyers much less so.
    Ginette is right. If you do not want to sell to a new member that is the sellers choice. But another seller might make a great deal. The site in general will be performing a needed service.

As a new member that is JMaHO.
    Regards

Marty

Plenty of people join just to sell/avoid ebay fees. Same as subscribers on apug.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Any rules related to access to the for-sale forum will become more restrictive, not less, if they need to change at all, such as by requiring a meaningful post count.
    I like the minimum post count idea. In fact, I thought that was already the case.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

In the past, there have been individuals who appended lots of "Me too" posts to active threads, just to build up their post count.

If you sign onto LFF early enough in the morning, you'll sometimes see the "spam bombs" Rick "Death to Spammers" Denney refers to. Clicking on the little bottom left triangle lets you alert the moderators, who do an excellent job of getting rid of the spam before most see it.

I understand the waiting period for would-be sellers, but, along with Ginette, don't see why newbies can't be buyers. Of course, I don't understand a lot of things.

Charley

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Me too.