Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

A new workshop in November that I am extremely proud to be associated with-put on by the fine folks at the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography. Come join us!

Join us in California's most feared desert, home to badlands, salt beds, mysteriously traveling rocks, and awe-inspiring views; visited by photographers and intrepid tourists year-round; successfully crossed only by the brave and air-conditioned!
    http://esc4p.org/workshop_esc4p.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Workshop.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	112592

The cost is reasonable, the instructors are knowledgeable and fun people. It should be a blast.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In the desert...

Re: November Workshop with the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography announcement

Itinerary? "Headquarters" , " base camp location?,
    Sounds like something I could attend.

Re: November Workshop with the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography announcement

Cool. I am a hired gun on this (as is Jan P. but he and I are doing this for our expenses-the rest goes as a fund raiser for ESC4P). So please contact Laura Campbell at:

eyelovefilm at gmail dot com

for details.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

This whole project started with a friend of mine talking to a very nice lady in the Alabama Hill in the Owens Valley last year. Laura and ESC4P wanted to do some workshops in photography and needed some help in getting started. So the rest is history as they say.

I am so looking forward to the workshop. We have a good group of instructors and a great location to work with. This group brings a background in color and black/white, film and digital, big cameras to small ones and from traditional to non-traditional photography So it should be a great time for all. Plan on spending time out in the field making photographs. And time sitting around talk about photographs and your work in photography.

As Kirk said this is a fund raiser for ESC4P. So come and sign up for the workshop and support them.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Itinerary? "Headquarters" , " base camp location?,
    Sounds like something I could attend.
    If you knew where its was . What subterfuge – the desert which shall not be named – good grief.

Apparently, given the professionally finished nature of the promotional banner, the unadvertised super secret location, "California's most feared desert", which could easily include a quarter of the state, is an attempt to avoid fees in a very specific federally managed area. How unfortunate, for all of us really, that workshop leaders choose to pursue such an un-forthright path, for many reasons.

Absolutely totally wrong ROL. That is rather insulting. Why not ask us first before posting such nonsense? The workshop will be fully permitted and insured-as "official" as it can be.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

In the desert...

Lol
    That was the point of my above question.
    Location, base camp etc. if Death Valley , and one wishes to stay in furnace creek area, those rooms do fill up!
    Stove Pipe Wells etc same. Just a suggestion, I've spent a bit of time in DV and the Az Ca deserts, alone and in workshops.
    Personally if the itinerary requires a lot up before crack of dawn and driving , I would be hesitant.
    What would be nice is being able to shoot and have a good darkroom lab facilities in close proximity.
    So a bit more info posted on the forum would be helpful.

P.S. Jan's platinum prints are among the most exquisite I have seen

The announcement is somewhat cryptic, I have to agree. But there is a reason. National Parks prohibit direct advertising of specific locations before all paperwork is signed, sealed, and delivered. We would NEVER hold a workshop in a Park or on any other land without first following all the rules, and we would NEVER ask someone with the reputation of Kirk and Jan to participate in such a shady endeavor. While things proceed behind the scenes, we are hoping to generate interest in this unique opportunity. Itineraries have been formulated, and goals set. We will be sharing that information as well. I can tell you that there will be at least one dawn shoot, one dusk shoot, and an opportunity to learn night photography as well. We will also look at individual work.

Thanks for that clarification Amanda. I knew that was the reason for the encription, but wasn't sure what we could say publicly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Dave, if you have questions feel free to contact me at my email address (shown above) or PM me. I anticipate there will be early morning photography, but that doesn't mean you have to attend the early morning sessions during the workshop.