Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

Re: Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

It's a good system, and once holders are super clean, cleaning 'em the next time is quick and easy. (As long as they are stored in bags)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

From the PDF:
    Spend 3 days with us and we will give some of the basics, spend 6 days with us and we can give more personalized guidance.
    There's been a couple of questions that's bugging me. What is the optimum level of participant vs. the instruction?

Beings that I come from a background of creativity, inventiveness, and troubleshooting, and I've been doing LF for a while, I've never felt a personal need for a workshop. I go out, I shoot, I screw up, I figure out the problem.

So what kind of value is there for participants who aren't beginners, and who have a bit of a handle on things?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Those are always good questions Brian. Specific to this workshop, my main reasons for taking it are:

1. To support the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography as this will be in part, a fund raiser. Also to meet Laura & Amanda, I missed out on that this past May when I was based out of Lone Pine for a week.

2. To engage in tactile dialogue about photography, something I much prefer to experience in person than online. I always learn something new, even as a pro with over 35 years experience. Guys like Kirk and Jan have a lot more experience in using LF than I do, so a great resource for sure.

3. It’s a great place to photograph, the longer you can hang out, the better your chances are in getting interesting light and weather. If this were not a field workshop, I would likely have passed.

4. It’s a perfect time for me to do a road trip, the timing could not be better as I have my biggest block of down time from early October to around Thanksgiving.

I’m self taught, have taught workshops my self and if there is one thing I have learned, it is to get out of town and go hang out with like minded folks once and awhile. Photo camaraderie is kind of rare in person these days so it becomes special when it happens…

Yes, I've been at this (LF) since 1978 and Jan has been at it since 1840 () yet when we get together there is much to learn from each other because we took different paths to get where we are today. Even though we are both experienced in LF we use similar materials to to get to different outputs-for Jan that is PT/PL and for me it is traditional silver, inkjet and silver from digital negs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"I’m self taught, have taught workshops my self and if there is one thing I have learned, it is to get out of town and go hang out with like minded folks once and awhile. Photo camaraderie is kind of rare in person these days so it becomes special when it happens…"

You have summed me and my feelings up too- wish I could find time or this event a little closer!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Totally agree, I have met some very fine people on workshops or events related to the forums.

Kirk is one, and our time together well lets say what happens in Conneticut stays in Conneticut.

but I treasure all the interesting people I have met here and on APUG.

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    "I’m self taught, have taught workshops my self and if there is one thing I have learned, it is to get out of town and go hang out with like minded folks once and awhile. Photo camaraderie is kind of rare in person these days so it becomes special when it happens…"

You have summed me and my feelings up too- wish I could find time or this event a little closer!

Bob, my lips are sealed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm interested in attending but I'm not yet sure I can clear my calendar. How many spots are left?

Thanks!

Hi Jim,

Space is currently available. When you've checked your calendar, touch base with us again. The workshop is going to be a lot fun.

Thanks Laura!