Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

I think Adobe is on the run, they are backing away from the subscription and now trying to sell low cost student hard copies.

These are signs of failure. It does not make me happy as I use Photoshop daily and there is no real competition.

I just got this email headline.

New Adobe CC / CS6 Student & Teacher Editions – How to Save 70%

2 Bit Hack

Re: ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

They charge to much for it.
    Regards

Marty

Sooner or later GIMP will feature 16/48 bit image editing. So I just wait, and I guess many other users as well. I've already substituted InDesign with Scribus, Bridge with XNview MP (both for Linux, Mac and Windows available for free). I'm already 'playing' with 8/24 bit GIMP to get used to it, so when the 16/48 version hits my Mac I will abandon PS as well. For Lightroom ther is Darktable and RawTherapee (Linux, Mac and Windows), so I never started an adventure with LR (ok, still running my good old Nikon Capture NX). No sweat, no panic. We've got a choice and alternative for the Adobe products.

Adobe has always given huge discounts to the education industry. Where I am, you could get the whole CS6 master collection for $400 or so ($2500+ retail) with the education discount. Of course if you are motivated/inclined to do so, you can get it for nothing too. Probably the same case with CC as it was with CS6. Just sayin'...

3/4's of the ad copy in the email was dedicated to software theft and the dangers to your creative projects.

They even brought up illegal pirated software 'back door's' which will hack your computer.

It was full on scare tactics, with sweet discounts.

They are on the run.

As for GIMP, been there, no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Adobe has always given huge discounts to the education industry. Where I am, you could get the whole CS6 master collection for $400 or so ($2500+ retail) with the education discount. Of course if you are motivated/inclined to do so, you can get it for nothing too. Probably the same case with CC as it was with CS6. Just sayin'...

I think gimp is pretty decent replacement for photoshop 7.0. I've used it and was happy with it, but for the lack of 16/48 bit handling.

CS6/CC is pretty fast though with it's GPU acceleration and the healing brush makes FAST work on dust spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I think Adobe is on the run, they are backing away from the subscription and now trying to sell low cost student hard copies.

These are signs of failure. It does not make me happy as I use Photoshop daily and there is no real competition.

I just got this email headline.

New Adobe CC / CS6 Student & Teacher Editions – How to Save 70%
    Maybe but they have always offered these deep discounts to students and teachers. What is so different about this?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I know they have always offered EDU discounts, but this email had a distinct taint of fear. It was worded very strangely with my last post explanations of software piracy.

I deleted it or I would copy it here.

I figured a few here got the same email, I don't get EDU messages from Adobe and I subscribe to the PS and LR $10 version. I'm not a target customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Maybe but they have always offered these deep discounts to students and teachers. What is so different about this?

If anyone else got this send me a copy. I'm curious and maybe I didn't get it because I'm all ready a "teacher" subscriber.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Sooner or later GIMP will feature 16/48 bit image editing. So I just wait, and I guess many other users as well. I've already substituted InDesign with Scribus, Bridge with XNview MP (both for Linux, Mac and Windows available for free). I'm already 'playing' with 8/24 bit GIMP to get used to it, so when the 16/48 version hits my Mac I will abandon PS as well. For Lightroom ther is Darktable and RawTherapee (Linux, Mac and Windows), so I never started an adventure with LR (ok, still running my good old Nikon Capture NX). No sweat, no panic. We've got a choice and alternative for the Adobe products.
    Thanks for that information, which is very helpful.