Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie at digitizing - let's KISS

Newbie at digitizing - let's KISS

Keep it simple, stars. (I don't want to use the usual second S, rather rude)
    I am a LF newbie. If I want to post an image to a thread (probably the "post your mistakes" thread ) here, I will have to digitize it. I know zip about scanning. Can one use low-end office flatbed scanners for low-resolution scans for web use?

Re: Newbie at digitizing - let's KISS

You can use most office scanners to scan prints, up to the size the scanner supports.

If you want to scan the film you will need a scanner with a transparency adapter that supports the film size you wish to scan. There are many used flatbed scanners that support 4x5 and a few that support larger. And a few new ones that are still on the market that support 4x5 and larger.

What do you want to scan?

4 x 5
    Eventually I will want to do a good job at scanning, but right now I think that what I need is an adequate job of scanning, sufficient to send an image or two for troubleshooting (name this artifact!) or critique.

Buy a scanner. There's a used Epson V750 available at the moment. Great scanner.

Use the manufacturer's scanning software, or a third-party program if you prefer.
    Whatever you choose, stick with it until you understand it thoroughly. Experiment.

Place the print face down on the scanner glass, up against whichever corner the scanner identifies.

Scan per the software protocol.

Save the scanned file to your hard drive.

Various programs are available to resize and edit the images.

KISs. ;-)

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Newbie at digitizing - let's KISS

Quote Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
    4 x 5
    Eventually I will want to do a good job at scanning, but right now I think that what I need is an adequate job of scanning, sufficient to send an image or two for troubleshooting (name this artifact!) or critique.
    Just get the Epson V750 and be done with it. Truly, it's a "little" pricy in terms of getting it new, but well worth it, it does anything from 35mm, 120, and 4x5 and comes with those inserts, it also can do wet scanning if you ever want to get into it. And is the best compromise.

I did a lot of searching and ultimately, instead of spending money on a lesser unit that will be hard to sell later for any value, just get the Epson V750... It will do up to 8x10 actually but that size you need your own insert or to use the glass directly instead of a holder.

Essentially it has 2 lenses, one GOOD lens and one average lens. The good lens focused at the holder hight for up to 5x7 (but you'll need to get a special holder for 5x7) but can do 8x10 on the lesser lens by placing it directly on the glass. This doesn't matter much as 8x10 is so large you generally won't need the extra sharpness of the better lens.

The Epson software it comes with is a heck of a lot easier to use than SilverFast or ViewScan, and if you ever want to get fancier, those other software packages support this scanner.

Hope this helps.

AND I just noticed it's on sale!!!

Almost $150 less than I payed....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Scanner.html

Assuming you intend to scan film you would be well served with either a used or new Epson. I have an older 4870 which would meet your needs and are available for not much money. There are other discontinued models as well like the 2450, 3200, 4990. The current V700 and V750 will also work. Anything from the 4870 and newer is pretty good, and will easily meet your stated purpose and more.

There are also Microtek and a few other scanners out there, but I know little about them.

Les

If you wish to avoid the software and/or scanners (for now) you can set up a digital camera w/macro lens, attaching it via a clamp or small tripod....so long you have enough area underneath to be able to move the negative in order to stitch it + space for the light. Hopefully all aligns at proper angles. You also need a light (preferably diffused) and that can be LED panel or a small flash + some milky plexiglass. Anyway, once you set this up, the camera can take 4 or 6 overlapping shots of the 4x5 nega, which you can combine and reverse even in a cheapo Elements program. More sophisticated programs will do better job, but it's about "good enough" results for the Web. Over time you can decide whether you wish to stay with a flatbed rig, go straight to drum scanning....or just have a pro lab do selective quality scan/s in order to hang the print.

Les

If what you a re interested in is going to the web, stick the film on a lightbox, square up to it and take your photo with a point and shoot.. That's as simple as it gets.. I think one shot is probably all you need... Get a copy of PhotoShopp and learn enough to invert an image (command I), add a curve adjustment layer to tweak it and save it out to a jpeg. While PhotoShop might be harder than some of the other options, it gives you a slow way to start learning it nice and slow...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I have an epson 3200 listed in the classifieds here. It does 4x5 and comes with the appropriate holders.

...simple, stars.
    I resemble that remark.

Can one use low-end office flatbed scanners for low-resolution scans for web use?
    Some of my original scans still on my site were with an early century HP Officejet. You don't need, and should not post, images greater than 72 DPI (and of reasonable dimension no greater than 800 pixels on a side – e.g., less than 200 KB) in public forums on the net both for your own security and the sanity of users attempting to scroll through your masterpieces. Even with nicer scanners, and they're all plenty good for your stated use these days, you'll still want to downsize "original" scans to the web-able format suggested above.

…bow, throws kiss, bows again, exits stage left.

… wait, did you call me stupid (KISS)? I take back everything I've said.