Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using bleach on B&W film to retouch

Using bleach on B&W film to retouch

I'm looking for direction to articles about retouching B&W film by using bleach.

I have a magazine from 2006. "B&W Master Printing Class by Master Photographer/Darkroom Printer Bruce Barnbaum" (from the publisher of Photo Techniques).

In this magazine, he has a lesson on "Correcting a Defective Negative via Traditional Methods." He has a negative of some sand dunes where a light leak from his film holder, or something, has left a kind of streak on park of his negative. He talks about using, "a glass of rather dilute potassium ferricyanide," which is what he also uses on prints.

I have no experience with bleaching and only discovered that this bleaching of negatives and prints exists the other month. Can I use normal household bleach? I don't know how to get these raw chemicals and I'd rather not have to mix anything too complicated. Everything search online shows me people bleaching instant film.

I'm asking because I have some 4x5 TXP that I've got a few leaks on. It was from a somewhat sketchy holder and some user error. I'd like to see if this bleaching could at all help my negative(s) and I'd also like to learn more about bleaching prints, presumably to open up highlights?

Thanks so much.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Joel Edmondson

Re: Using bleach on B&W film to retouch

The bleach usually referred to in such cases is potassium ferricyanide... diluted with water or hypo and applied locally. The bleach works fairly slowly and usually is applied, rinsed, inspected and - if needed - reapplied. Note that it works pretty quickly in "thin" areas and requires diligence to avoid ruining the negative.

Joel

So seeing as how I can't use normal bleach it seems, how does a normal person get a hold of some potassium ferricyanide? I see people mentioning to dilute it, but nobody says how much dilution. I've also found some stuff on photo.net saying that the print needs to be wet with fix. I suppose I remember the article mentioning rinsing with water after painting on the bleach and letting it work in a little, then rinsing with fix...or dipping the film back in fix.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Octogenarian

B&H, in NY, handles potassium ferricyanide., as does Photographers Formulary, in Montana, as well as other vendors.

Used to be called Farmers Reducer.

So it's a normal photo related thing that's still carried? I hadn't even thought of that.

Don't give me sh*t about searching google, don't get me started about people here...

Octogenarian

Wasn't giving you sh*t.

Merely attempting to be helpful.

If you don't like the people here, you can always post your questions on APUG.

Can anybody suggest an article on this stuff? My Google search hasn't given any useable suggestions for bleaching negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    So it's a normal photo related thing that's still carried? I hadn't even thought of that.

Don't give me sh*t about searching google, don't get me started about people here...
    Andrew, here's some specific direction I hope you will find helpful, as I cannot imagine why you presently have any need for people here at all.

...yep...love you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    Can anybody suggest an article on this stuff? My Google search hasn't given any useable suggestions for bleaching negatives.
    My Google search did: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/La...agebleach.html